We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day itinerary advice

Pittsburgh...
10 posts
Save Topic
3 day itinerary advice

We just finished booking our hotels so the dates aren't changing, I'm just wondering how much we can fit into three days, and any advice would be appreciated! My husband and I are mid-20s, have traveled a good amount in the past and are up to long days! Here is what we have planned:

Day 1 - Travel from Dublin to Killarney. Aiming for most direct route which seems to be through Limerick (from what I've read this seems to be ~ 5 hours??). We would plan to make a quick stop in Adare to stretch our legs and take some pictures. My husband is a photographer and the pictures I've seen of the town are just too cute! Hoping to get to hotel in Killarney by early afternoon, then spend the rest of the day exploring Dingle if time/energy allow. Wondering if we'll have time for a boat ride in Dingle and/or Slea Head drive. Possibly dinner in Dingle before returning to hotel.

Day 2 - Full day for self tour of Ring of Kerry. We are a little nervous after reading about small roadways. However, we have driven some narrow winding roads in Maui and will just plan to drive counterclockwise so we stay on the land side of the roadways.

Day 3 - Drive back to Dublin making stops along the way. Potential stops would be Kenmare, Cork, Blarney Castle, Rock of Cashel, Kilkenny Castle, and Waterford or Wexford if time allows. We wouldn't need to hit all of these. Basically just decide as we drive based on timing, weather, and how much we feel up to that day.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Do you think we'll have time to check out Dingle at all the first day? How many stops do you think we'll have time for on the 3rd day? Any input is appreciated!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day itinerary advice

Day 1 as well as being impossible is nigh on dangerous. I don't mean to be rude but I'd hate to meet you on the Slea head route after a transatlantic flight, having driven from Dublin on to Killareney and then out to Dingle AND Slea head after. On the cliff parts of the Slea head drive there is room for very little and a tilourisy driving against everyone else would cause chaos .

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
15,736 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day itinerary advice

Please! Pay heed to HarveyIreland's sound advice.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
183 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day itinerary advice

Hi Amanda,

Bearing in mind that you are young and open to long days, Days 1 and 2 are achievable. For day 3, I'd suggest omitting Kenmare, (its on the Ring) Waterford and Wexford, as these would involve too much detour. You could visit Cork, detour to Blarney, return to Cork to get on the M8 towards Cashel. After visiting the Rock, head north to Urlingford and then to Kilkenny and then to Dublin. I woudn't dream of trying to fit that all into one day, but if you're on the road at 7 a.m. it could be done.

By the way, the drive from Killarney to Dingle will take about an hour as well as a stop at Inch beach for photos, and the trip around Slea Head will take another hour, plus time for photos. You'd better reserve a table in Dingle for dinner!

The important thing to remember about driving in Ireland is that although the distances seem short, the roads are not motorways, and as you already mentioned, some roads are very narrow, especially in Kerry and the most beautiful places, which of course adds to the beauty of our country!

Mags.

Pittsburgh...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 day itinerary advice

If you have to say "I hate to be rude" then you probably know you are about to be :)

We will be traveling from the Dublin portion of our trip, not because our flight arrived that day. I called this "Day 1" because it is the first day of our Killarney part of the trip, not because it is the first full day of our trip. This will be our 6th full day in Ireland, so we should be well adjusted to the time zone by this point. With that said, I do understand it is a lot of driving for one day.

Do you mean to say that overall driving from Dublin to the Dingle peninsula in one day is absurd and not possible based on drive times? Or just that it is selfish to drive in unsafe conditions (while tired on narrow crowded roads)? If you mean the later then I do agree we would never continue traveling in unsafe conditions just to hit a few more photo stops. But we would rather see some of Dingle than sit in the Killarney hotel all day if we arrive early afternoon and still have some energy and daylight to spare!

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
827 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 day itinerary advice

Hello. Travel time from Dublin to Killarney is at least 5 hours. Travel time from Killarney to Dingle is about 1.5 hours. Only you can determine whether you want to do about 8 hours driving, not counting time for meals, photos, etc, in one day. On your way back to Dublin, again about 5 hours just driving, if either Blarney castle or the Rock of Cashel are on or not too far off your route, either would be a nice stop. Hope this helps, and enjoy.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 day itinerary advice

I would think that going from Dublin to Killarney, checking into the hotel and on to Dingle is far too much in a day. Slea Head is just a part of the Dingle Peninsula ( a very spectacular part ) and would, imo, need 3 hours to appreciate properly. If you are intent on doing it, then go to Dingle first and check into the hotel that evening.

Pittsburgh...
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 day itinerary advice

Thanks for the advice.

Is the Dingle area generally pretty safe? I was thinking to stop into the hotel first so we wouldn't be leaving all of our luggage in the car for any stops we may take. Although if we stay relatively near the car at the stops then this shouldn't be a problem.

If Slea Head is too much to add to this travel day, would it still be worth making our way down to Dingle at all? It looks like there is at least one company that does boat tours, or maybe just walking around and getting dinner but eliminating the scenic drive portions of the peninsula? If it isn't worth even attempting Dingle then are there any suggestions on how to spend our afternoon/evening in Killarney? Maybe getting a jump on the first couple stops on the ROK so we won't have as many stops the next day? Otherwise maybe we could just take a later start out of Dublin to check out any final sites before we leave the city.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 day itinerary advice

I'd skip the ROK sooner than skipping the Dingle peninsula but thats just my own opinion. The Dingle area is very safe. I have, in the past, left my car open and my wallet on the dash while I went cycling for 3 hours. That being said, it's no harm to play safe.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
183 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 day itinerary advice

Hi again,

I tried to submit an edited post but the gremlins got it!

In Killarney, you can walk in the woodland park, climb Torc waterfall, visit Mucross House and gardens, take a ride in a jaunting car, drive out to Moll's Gap, talk a walk in the wilderness of the Kerry Way... if you look up tourist sites you'll find even more!! At night there are ample opportunities to join in singing, dancing and music sessions. And maybe you'll be there when the football team progresses to the next stage of the championship. The atmosphere will be magic!

Enjoy!

Mags.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
15,736 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 day itinerary advice

dokgolf, Great advice. Keshgrammy