We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killarney to Tralee

Fort Myers, FL
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Killarney to Tralee

We will be in County Kerry September 10th thru September 14th. We think we will fly from Dublin to Kerry Airport and pick up a car. The car is my husband's brilliant idea. We intend to stay in the Killarney area and take day tours and do some driving. As my Irish ancestors are from Tralee, Ardfert and buried in Ballyseedy Cemetery, so I MUST visit and explore that area - no ifs, ands or buts. All I can figure out is that the N22 goes up to Tralee. Is it a bad drive? Highway? Lots of traffic? Do the other drivers drive fast/speed? We are from SW Florida and we have some crazy drivers down here - Season is a joy. How long does it take? I'm sure we will stop off along the way and poke around the countryside. I'm nervous about driving on the "other" side of the road (oh,rest assured, I'll be the passenger!), but my husband is confident in both his ability to adapt and remember how to drive a "manual" -

I'm so excited about this portion of our trip. We originally planned on spending the majority of our trip in the Dublin area, but now think we should be spending more time in Kerry. All thoughts and ideas will be most appreciated.

Regards,

Karen

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,968 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Killarney to Tralee

Farranfore airport is midway between Tralee and Killarney. It is a very easy drive, most people will be driving well under the limit as there are penalties for speeding. I really dont think you have much to worry about, a lot of people come into Kerry airport and drive off quite happily. There are big signs saying keep to the left!!

Fort Myers, FL
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Killarney to Tralee

Thank you for the info. I feel a bit more comfortable now. How long does the trip take and is there interesting things to see along the way or is it all highway?

I know what it's like to have tourists on the road. Now I'll be "one of them" - are the rental cars in Ireland identified as such? Time was, rental cars in Florida had "Lease" on the license tag, but unfortunately due to crime, it was changed.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,947 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Killarney to Tralee

Farranfore to Ballyseede is about 9 miles. The road is recently rebuilt and well marked. The speed limit is 60 mph. Ballyseede Castle is beside the graveyard and a lovely spot for a meal or tea break. Tralee is another mile or so along and the lovely village of Ardfert is another 3 miles. If family issues are your main interest, you could get good hotel deals in Tralee at that time and make your day trip to Killarney. I am very familiar with the Adfert area - I was there an hour ago! - so if you want to message me about anything at all, I would be delighted to help.

Rental cars can be easily identified I think. Most have an Avis sticker or some such and are usually newly registered as can be seen on the number plate.

Edited: 12 July 2014, 16:32
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Killarney to Tralee

You may want to do some research on the Ballyseedy Cemetery before you start your search in Ireland. There is a family that has a web site for Ballyseedy Cemetery.

blennerhassettfamilytree.com/…-Co-Kerry.php

Also there is a committee to contact. ballyseedycem@gmail.com

Fort Myers, FL
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Killarney to Tralee

Spiceloft,

Genealogy is my thing, but definitely not my husband's interest so I have to limit my searching for old homesteads. Happy to know that the rental cars are identified as such. And I will take you up on your very kind offer to answer my questions regarding Tralee and the Ardfert area. You will be hearing from me again!

Fort Myers, FL
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Killarney to Tralee

Thank you for telling me about the Ballyseedy Cemetery website. I've done much research on my Kerry ancestors and I'm almost certain that Blennerhassett family are related. This website will be very helpful to me.

7. Re: Killarney to Tralee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 13:24
South Florida...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Killarney to Tralee

Karen,

My husband, too was confident in his ability to drive on the other side of the road, but it did not occur to him that the manual transmission shift pattern put reverse where it seemed 2nd should be. That took more getting used to than expected. Just something to consider.

We're planning on a similar drive from Killarney to Tralee, and we also know about the seasonal divers in South Florida (my dad lives in Ft. M. part of the year) (part of the problem!). I can't imagine it will be that bad.

Good luck.

Edited: 26 July 2014, 18:43
South Florida...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Killarney to Tralee

To clarify my post(s) above (sorry for the duplicate; attempted to remove), the shift pattern is not reversed but the problem is with reverse when downshifting, say in a roundabout. I don't drive a manual transmission and so it's all foreign to me! :-)

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Killarney to Tralee

The big problem there is that there are different manual transmission systems with different manufacturers and you don't know what you're going to get.

Even though I've driven manuals all my life, I've been caught out by some of the layouts on hire cars. My worst experience has to be being unable to find reverse while in the middle of a three point turn!

Now when I get a hire car, I make sure I'm familiar with the gear layout before I leave the car rental depot.