We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please remind me why it's a bad idea...

CT
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Please remind me why it's a bad idea...

Please remind me why I should NOT drive from Killarney to Connemara in one day. See, we really wanted to stay in a castle for one night and the only one that seems to kind of fit with our trip (my husband was very excited about this idea and he gets outwardly exited about not a whole lot) is Ballynahinch Castle. It's just under 3 hours from Killarney to Galway City. But it's only FOUR hours up to the castle. Then we could totally take our time going back to Glaway the next day.

Remind me why this is a bad idea. No, really. Please. Please?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please remind me why it's a bad idea...

If I may make some assumptions, I read your itinerary post and I got the feeling that the posters weren't necessarily saying driving from Killarney to Connemara was a bad idea - I think they were saying that driving from Killarnery via the Dingle peninsula and THEN up to Connemara was not logistically possible.

My husband and I are staying in Ballynahinch Castle for our anniversary in April, so I completely understand wanting to go there and not cutting it out (doesn't the castle and area surrounding it look gorgeous???). I think if you basically did a "straight shot" with the requisite stops for gas, lunch, etc. the drive should be completely doable in one day. Unfortunately, this would mean cutting out Dingle this trip or reworking your itinerary to possibly fit it in before. AA roadwatch (http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes/) has the drive at 4 hours, so I would plan on 5-6 hours of driving time which means that would definitely take up most of your day if you do elect to go this route.

I hope this is what you were asking!

Kris

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please remind me why it's a bad idea...

Bad idea because even though there is the word "castle" in the name Ballynahinch is not a genunie castle. It is an old fishing lodge. It is a nice place in a remote location but not a castle. For a real castle try Glin, Dromoland or Ashford.

CT
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please remind me why it's a bad idea...

Thanks guys/gals! Yeah, I've been doing some more research and I'm leaning towards either Drumoland or Ashford. End result - we want to sleep in a castle. We're history dorks. It sounds stupid. I realize that.

Essentially, what we're planning on doing - driving to Killarney. Sleeping that night. Doing Ring of Kerry. Sleeping that night. Doing Dingle Peninsula. Sleeping that night. Leave Killarney the next morning.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please remind me why it's a bad idea...

I'm sorry to hear you're foregoing Ballynahinch. I had read that it wasn't a "castle" in the truest sense of the word, so I guess I'm glad that Sally let you know. Either Dromoland or Ashford should be very nice. Best of luck on your decision!

Kris

CT
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please remind me why it's a bad idea...

Kahbah - yeah, we wanted the history aspect to the whole thing. I can't entirely explain it other than that we're really big nerds. :-) Plus, Ballynahinch was WAYYYY out of our way given the driving needed to be done in one day so I was already trying to talk myself into that one...

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Please remind me why it's a bad idea...

If I had a choice I would choose Ashford Castle!

7. Re: Please remind me why it's a bad idea...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 17:18