We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

worth stopping in Tralee on the way to Dingle

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
worth stopping in Tralee on the way to Dingle

Is it worth stopping in Tralee on the way to Dingle from Shannon airport? We will have a 1.5 year old with us so it may just be a quick stop for lunch and a look around Tralee. Is it worth stopping? Are there any playgrounds by chance?

Thanks

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,151 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: worth stopping in Tralee on the way to Dingle

What time are you arriving in at?

There's a lovely park in Adare, on the way down. It would be worth stopping there for a while, give your youngster a bit of a run about after the plane.

The Dovecot Restaurant in the Heritage Centre is just across the road and great for a cuppa. Nice clean bathroom facilities too ;o)

I'll let others fill you in on Tralee.

Carrick on Shannon
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: worth stopping in Tralee on the way to Dingle

If you are in that area you have to see slea head. prob some of the best scenery you will see in the whole country. its not far from dingle. i think you actually pass it on your way from tralee to dingle if you take the coast road. give yourself plenty of time so you can stop at the many laybys along the way. it has the most beautiful little beach also. google it... i love it down there. cant wait to go back

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,466 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: worth stopping in Tralee on the way to Dingle

There is a large shopping mall called Manor West just as you enter Tralee. It spares you the drive into the town centre, which can be clogged with traffic

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: worth stopping in Tralee on the way to Dingle

Tralee is about 2 hours from Shannon. There is a beautiful town park with an extensive playground. There are lots of shops around and some good places for lunch. As with all things, it depends on time of day, which day, time of year and so on what is available. There is a large car park near the playground. If you want, nearer the time, I can send you detailed directions to get you through the town. Another option is to turn off the main road in Abbeyfeale, driving through Duagh, which brings you to the outskirts of the lovely town of Listowel. There is a playground there and it is a short stroll to the centre of the town.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: worth stopping in Tralee on the way to Dingle

Slea Head is not on the way to Dingle from Tralee, it is past Dingle, save it for another day.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,151 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: worth stopping in Tralee on the way to Dingle

Spiceloft, with all due respect, I've driven the Abbeyfeale to Listowel Road a few times in the last year and its not something I'd recommend to someone just off an overnight plane and driving on Irish roads for the first time.

While I agree with you that Listowel is a lovely, lovely town with great character and the Listowel Arms is fab for food, I think the main road is best - for the outward journey at least.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: worth stopping in Tralee on the way to Dingle

Beanalainn's point about the Abbeyfeale listowel road is well made. I use the road regularly and maybe take it for granted. Then again, if someone is heading for the Connor Pass, it would be good practice!

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: worth stopping in Tralee on the way to Dingle

How about you two meet half way and consider this:

Take the N69 from Limerick to Tralee, through Listowel/Ballybunion along the scenic Limerick/Kerry coastline.

Its easy to get to this road. Your directions will take you along the dock road in Limerick. At the end of the dock road there are two signs for Tralee(helpful isn't it?). One is the N21/N22 and the other is the N69. If you wish to take the scenic route take the N69. If you wish to take the direct route(10-15minutes quicker) then take the N21/N22.

You can take the N69 as far as Ballybunion which is a nice seaside town and then take the road to Tralee from here, direct or through Listowel.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: worth stopping in Tralee on the way to Dingle

Nope. Not unless you're in Ireland for a couple of months.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: worth stopping in Tralee on the way to Dingle

Thanks everyone. My husband is born and bred in Ireland so we go back at least once if not twice a year and I am always looking for new places to check out for a day or two. It certainly is getting a bit tougher now that we have a little one with us:) I'd love any other suggestions.