We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Tralee or Dingle or....?

Which Tralee hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Level Contributor
7 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Tralee or Dingle or....?

Hello! Our choir of about 35 people will be traveling to Ireland in June of 2011. We will be staying in Galway our first two nights and then heading towards the Dingle Peninsula. We want to stay two nights in the same place before moving on to Killarney National Park and Waterford. Do you recommend staying in Dingle Town or Tralee, or do you have another suggestion? Thanks so much! Sassy Steph

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Tralee or Dingle or....?

Tralee would probably be able to accommodate a larger group,but Dingle has so much to offer & would be my preference.What sort of accommodation are you looking for ???

Have a look at Dingle Harbour Lodge www.dingle-bnb.com they may be able to accommodate a large group.Also www.dodingle.com is a very useful site.

Edited: 23 February 2010, 19:33
Ireland
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Tralee or Dingle or....?

Killarney is more central to seeing Kerry, and i suspect as there are more hotels you would get a better deal there than the other destinations. Dingle may be difficult for a group as most of the accomodation is provided by smaller higher end properties, whereas Tralee apart from the Rose of Tralee festival is not really known as a tourism destination. Both towns are within an hour from \Killarney.

ny
Level Contributor
637 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Tralee or Dingle or....?

DINGLE! I've never been to Tralee, but Dingle was so nice. Lots of B & Bs and hotels. Good luck!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,958 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Tralee or Dingle or....?

Are you planning to stay in Killarney? If not, then its a good place to stay, particularly with a group.

If its an either/or Tralee/Dingle and you are staying in Killarney after that, then I would definately recommend Dingle.

WindwardOahu
Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Tralee or Dingle or....?

Tho I still haven't been to either and later this Spring I'll stay in both, from what i've read from my research Dingle is a no brainer.

My group, arriving in Shannon will start out a few days in Tralee but we still have 2 nights reserved for Dingle. Seems a lot of people say it's the highlight of their trips, or if they had it to do over again would spend more time in Dingle. We plan on finding out why.

Oregon
Level Contributor
7 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Tralee or Dingle or....?

Thanks so much for your suggestions. We are looking for a nice, middle class hotel, since most of our choir members are middle-aged or older. Do you think the Dingle Harbour Lodge would be nice enough? The "Do Dingle" website was very helpful, too, and I like some of the hotels there. Thank you for your help.

Oregon
Level Contributor
7 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Tralee or Dingle or....?

Thanks for the suggestions about Killarney, too. At this point, we are visiting the Killarney National Park, but don't have any plans to stay there. I will check into hotels there as well.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in Tralee or Dingle or....?

I have to agree that Dingle has a lot more to offer for the visitor. But what do you want from your trip? Many visiting choirs perform in the various churches around Tralee, as they no doubt do in other towns. If you are in Kerry in the first week of June, the Kistowel Writers Week wwill be running and your group could sing at Mass for the assembled literatii.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,983 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay in Tralee or Dingle or....?

Tralee would not hold a candle to Dingle, which is smaller and in my opinion much much nicer.

Benners hotel might suit, it would be less pricey than the Skellig,which attracts lots of families with small children,but does have a pool etc.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay in Tralee or Dingle or....?

Whether it eas a Freudian slip or wishful thinking, for Kis read Lis for Listowel.