We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterford or Kilkenny?

Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Waterford or Kilkenny?

I'm traveling with friends (their first time to Ireland) in September. We're planning a relaxed driving itinerary and I'd appreciate advice on the following.

We're starting with two nights in Dublin, then heading to Kinsale. Because we want to stop at Powerscourt and drive through the Wickow Mountains, we want to overnight somewhere between Dublin and Kinsale. When I visit Ireland, I usually stay on the west coast (Clare) and I haven't been to either city in many years.

Is Waterford worth a visit? Is Kilkenny a better idea? Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,992 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waterford or Kilkenny?

Personally, I'm not a fan of Kinsale, far too touristy for my liking. Kilkenny attracts lot of tourists but never seems crowded and is a small vibrant city. I would choose it over Waterford on this trip.

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
825 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waterford or Kilkenny?

Hello. Both are very nice to visit. Kilkenny has the castle and a very nice walking tour. Waterford has Reginalds Tower, old medievil town walls, a very nice pedestrian shopping area, and the crystal factory. Kilkenny is not as big as Waterford, but Waterford does not feel like a big city. Good restaurants in both, both are on rivers, can't go wrong with either choice. Hope this helps, and enjoy.

Michigan
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waterford or Kilkenny?

That's a tough one, both are great, but mellow, cities with a lot to see and do. I will always root for Kilkenny, though. The castle and its grounds are breathtaking, and a good long walk along the river is just lovely. There are tons of shops as well, plus a craft museum just across the street from the castle.

Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waterford or Kilkenny?

Thanks for the recommendations. Now, I have to make a decision!

London, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waterford or Kilkenny?

Another vote for Kilkenny, Waterford just hasn't got what it takes.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,392 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waterford or Kilkenny?

Visit both and skip Kinsale.

7. Re: Waterford or Kilkenny?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 12:15