We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B in Kilkenny

south western...
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
B&B in Kilkenny

Can anyone recommend a quiet B&B that is walking distance into town for dinner, pubs etc? I researched the forum and found the Carriglea, but it is unfortunately booked for the time we are looking.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B in Kilkenny

The nearest B&B's to the town are not usually the quietest. Carriglea is good because it is small and on a quiet side street.

These are the nearest:

Fanad House

Berkeley House

Butler Court

Celtic House

I would not recommend them as the quietest but it all depends on the particular nights you are there. I would say, a midweek night should be OK, but weekends could be noisy.

A little further out are Rosquil House, Lacken House, Olinda, Launard House, Rodini, Breagagh View, Park Villa, Dunromin.

These are all what I would deem to be quiet houses, but are more of a walk from the centre than the previously mentioned ones.

All are in the ireland.ie website.

Mentioned in this post
Fanad House
Fanad House
299 Reviews
Kilkenny, Ireland
Butler Court
Butler Court
587 Reviews
Kilkenny, Ireland
south western...
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B in Kilkenny

Thanks Irishrover. We will be staying on a Friday night. I don't mind a bit of walking in return for a quiet sleep!

Do you know anything about the Hillgrove? recommended in Frommers.

I will check out the others on the site you recommended.

Thanks again!

Cork,Ireland
Level Contributor
352 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B in Kilkenny

I stayed in a fab B&B in Kilkenny last summer they were the nicest people I have ever met in a B&B. It is the Follys I kept the phone no in my phone: 056-7722607, but it is outside the town. On the ring road, outside Kilkenny town. Up a dirt road, you might think you are in the wrong place. You would have to get a taxi in & out. But its only about 10min in taxi.The breakfast was fab, full Irish & scones,fruit youghart. loads of homemade bread.We got there on the Saturday and my other friends arrived on Friday early. They were able to sit outside in the sunshine, and the lady that ran the place asked them if they would like a bottle of beer??? She rang and booked dinner for us in town too, but I cant remember the place?

The next morning one of my friends was not feeling too well after all the (bad ice) she got in her vodka... so she didnt get up for breakfast. The lady asked if I wanted to bring her down a plate and she put extra on it for her... I never experienced anything like it. It was a huge B&B on to the side of the house. Think it may be an old farm? The next day they showed me around there house and it was beautiful.

Myself & himself are hoping to go back there this summer for a weekend..

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B in Kilkenny

hello again

I do know Hillgrove very well. It is a lovely place and the owner is very nice and I would strongly recommend it to anyone who has a car. It is a way beyond the ring road so, while it is possible to walk into Kilkenny, you would have to walk part of it on a busy main road (the R700) and then cross the ring Road to carry on into the town.

It would be OK to walk in, if you don't mind walking on the above road, but you would certainly not want to walk back at night.

It would only be about a 7 euro taxi ride.

I am afraid I do not know Follys, but I will look out for it now on my travels.

south western...
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B in Kilkenny

Thanks

We will have a car, but thought it would be nice to walk out for dinner and drinks after settling in at the B&B.

There is availability at Avila Bed and Breakfast. Anybody heard of that one?

Emlagh and Carriglea are booked already for the dates I need. I have yet to hear back from the others.

Richboro, PA
Level Contributor
214 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&B in Kilkenny

I stayed at Hillgrove last September and would highly reccomend it. The B&B is very nice and the owners are wonderful. You can't beat the breakfast.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: B&B in Kilkenny

I don't really know Avila, but the Dore family are well-known in Kilkenny. The area is good and it is within walking distance - but a good walk. This would be a good bet for you if it is available.

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
78 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: B&B in Kilkenny

I'm not sure if you have a B&B booked yet but the Meadows B&B is fantastic. Closer to town than Avila. It's on a quiet cul de sac and the breakfasts are the best I've tasted.

south western...
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: B&B in Kilkenny

Hi there

Just returned from the weekend to find that Hillgrove is booked, as is Emlagh and Carriglea. I will try the others. Thanks for the leads.

10. Re: B&B in Kilkenny

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 14:29