We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smithwicks brewery/ tours: update

New Jersey
Level Contributor
220 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Smithwicks brewery/ tours: update

I had read about the Smithwicks brewery closing down in 2013. We are planning a trip in July and I was trying to find out whether the tour might still be available.

So, I went to the proverbial horse's mouth and sent an email on Smithwick's website.

This is the reply I received, which I thought I would share:

"Thank you for your email.

It is true there has been an announcement that the Brewery will be ceasing operations here in Kilkenny at the end of 2013. However, it is hoped that the tours will still run during 2013. Please email closer to the time when we will have confirmed our summer schedule."

So I'm holding out hope... this is the first I've seen of the operations ceasing at the end of 2013 vs. earlier in the year. Maybe good news for those planning to visit Kilkenny!

Philly
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Smithwicks brewery/ tours: update

What is their website? We will be there early next week.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
220 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smithwicks brewery/ tours: update

www.smithwicks.ie

good luck/have fun!

Canada
Level Contributor
5,468 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smithwicks brewery/ tours: update

Was in Kilkenny on Saturday. Only 4 tours a day and you need to be there early to nab one of the 12 spots on each tour. You cannot get into the abbey without doing the tour either!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smithwicks brewery/ tours: update

Thanks for sharing that information. It is very useful. I hope you enjoy your holiday next year. It is tragic about the brewery closing down, but Kilkenny also has a lot more to offer so there will still be plenty to see and do.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smithwicks brewery/ tours: update

I hope the tours operate through 2013! I am planning a trip for this September and was hoping to go on this tour as well. Keep us posted if the tours are still running this summer...

washington, DC
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smithwicks brewery/ tours: update

Just got an email when I tried to book my October tour:

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately due to the brewery relocating its production to St James Gate Brewery in Dublin at the end of 2013, the tour centre will no longer be offering tour as of September 2013.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards

Rachel

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smithwicks brewery/ tours: update

Thanks for the update Rick... I wonder should I go in August?!?!

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smithwicks brewery/ tours: update

Thanks for the update! It's a bummer, but I am sure there are plenty of other things to see in Kilkenny to keep us busy.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
744 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smithwicks brewery/ tours: update

With their moving to Dublin and having more operative decisions directly influenced by Mother Guinness, as it was explained to me in an e-mail, we had been sent a conditional Smithwick brewery tour reservation for the fall a couple of months go. However, based on subsequent update developments learned though these helpful postings, it looks like we'll be making some adjustments.

Retooling of our brewery touring to a smaller scale will now find us instead at Dingle's Brewery and Lisdoonvarna's Roadside Pub. For those interested and yet uninitiated, there's web info available on each. Those two more peekaboo options will be a source of their own fun in a more up close West Coast environment. The famous Dublin Guinness tour is memorable from years ago but now it's time for fresh adventures bubblewise.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
220 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smithwicks brewery/ tours: update

Interesting. I was able to confirm a reservation during the first week of July. So it appears the closing will occur some time in late summer/early fall?