We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kilkenny: as an overnight stop from Dublin to Kinsale

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
28 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Kilkenny: as an overnight stop from Dublin to Kinsale

If I leave Dublin around 9:30am, is it reasonable to arrive in Kilkenny with enough time to drive to the "Rock" and/or to Cahir Castle and still spend a little time in Kilkenny? We could also stop in either of those sites the following day, as we head to Kinsale for our next overnight stop. Thank you for any suggestions and comments.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,307 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kilkenny: as an overnight stop from Dublin to Kinsale

Yes I would think so.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kilkenny: as an overnight stop from Dublin to Kinsale

We really liked Kilkenny. The castle was impressive, Smithwick's was awesome, the brewery is moving this year, so if you can take the tour (email ahead). Stop for a pint at Tynan's Bridge House Bar...Happy Days!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,723 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kilkenny: as an overnight stop from Dublin to Kinsale

The Rock of Cashel and Cahir castle would be on your route to Cork so save them for the day. Lots to see and do in Kilkenny for a day. Not a fan of Kinsale, I'd pick somewhere not as wall to wall tourist like Clonakilty.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,971 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kilkenny: as an overnight stop from Dublin to Kinsale

Depends on the rest of the itinerary but Kilkenny deserves some time, Cashel a couple of Hours and the same for Cahir. Basically you have a route that given you had enough time would deserve a couple of days. I would not be in a rush to get to Kinsale for an overnight,

5. Re: Kilkenny: as an overnight stop from Dublin to Kinsale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2014, 05:16