We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kilkenny - Overnight or day tour?

Which Kilkenny hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Kilkenny - Overnight or day tour?

Hello,

I have a decision to make. I saw a photo of Kilkenny in the LP travelguide and thought I'd like to go there and stay overnight. I will be doing two day tours from Dublin, one of which is to Glendalough, and found some tours there also include Kilkenny. Some tour companies stay there two hours but this one http://www.daytours.ie/tour_glendalough.aspx gives three hours in Kilkenny.

My dilemma is this - do I choose that tour and have 3 hours in Kilkenny, or should I stay overnight in Kilkenny and choose a different company for Glendalough? I would like to stay the night but,

a) it adds an extra night and money is tight

b) coming from Killarney it takes five and a half hours to get there. I would have to leave by 8am (walk to bus station) and wouldn't arrive before 14.00 because there's a 55 minute wait in Cork for the connecting bus. Add the time to walk to the hostel, check-in etc, it's then half past two.

c) I would need to depart Kilkenny by 11.15

d) if I see Kilkenny as part of a day tour, I can travel from Killarney to Dublin by train which takes 3 and a half hours. (9.30 -13.00)

d) If I opt for the tour, will I regret not staying overnight? Will I be able to see the "sights" in 3 hours?

This is my itinerary:

Galway 3 nights (two day tours, Cliffs of Moher, Connemara & Cong)

Killarney 3 nights - two tours, Dingle Peninsula, Ring of Kerry,

Dublin 4 nights - day and a half to see Dublin, two day tours (Glendalough/Kilkenny, Celtic tour including Tara etc)

Thank you.

Edited: 29 October 2013, 07:15
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kilkenny - Overnight or day tour?

There is never enough time to fit in everything.. Your plan looks fine as it is and over thinking only serves to complicate. I love Kilkenny but don't go as often as we used too because the town has unfortunately caught a bit of kerryitus and prices have increased despite recession keeping many places stable for years.

Going some where simply because of sunny well shot photography and a bit of hype is why some ordinary places become tourist Mecca's. Just stick to the plan and make a note, must stay in Kilkenny next time..

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kilkenny - Overnight or day tour?

Thanks tony2phones. Thank you for putting it into perspective. Funny you should say about over thinking, they were the words someone said to me today. (Not a travel expert, just someone I talk to.)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
79 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kilkenny - Overnight or day tour?

To be honest i would stay in Kilkenny for the night especially if its a thurs/fri/sat as there's always something going on. Kilkenny has a fabulous nightlife and compared to Dublin the prices are cheap. Theres also plenty of attractions to occupy your day there the castle is great to wander around and the city has loads of winding streets to explore

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kilkenny - Overnight or day tour?

I definitely think Jo H has the right idea. If you have never visited Kilkenny before you will be sorry if you don't make the most of your visit. But I see you dilemma as you are relying on public transport.

If it turns out that you only have 3 hours, this thread will give you an idea of how to spend your time.

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k361399…

5. Re: Kilkenny - Overnight or day tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 05:19