We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Dublin to Cork

S L
New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Drive from Dublin to Cork

I will be driving from Dublin to Cork and wished to spend two nights on the way. Which towns would you recommend as good for a stop over from a scenic perspective: Kilkenny, Waterford, Kenmare, Killarney, kinsale? I know Kenmare and Killarney are in the south west so might be too much driving time?

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Waterford
Waterford
County Waterford, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,898 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Dublin to Cork

Kilkenny is close to the route Dublin to Cork, so that would be my first choice, then Waterford city which is just slightly further away. As you've said you're other two choices are further so I'd leave those for another trip.

The Dublin to Cork road is very good now, almost motorway all the way and without stops will take you just over two and a half hours (traffic dependent).

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Waterford
Waterford
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,022 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Dublin to Cork

Yes, I like those two choices.

Alternatively you could stay at Roundwood in County Wicklow first (only about 90 mins driving) and the scenery there is superb, you could visit Glendalough Monastic settlement, Powerscourt Gardens and Waterfall, and Russborough House.

Next night could be Kilkenny as already mentioned. The castle is a MUST DO, try and get a guided tour rather than a DIY, visit the Smithwicks Brewery. The brewery tours are set to run again this summer. I'm waiting for confirmation on that. This tour http://www.kilkennycitytours.ie/ is a great way to see the city. I don't think this is a hop on/hop off tour, but you do get to see the highlights and you can then walk back to them for further exploration if you want to. A walking tour is always a great way to see any city, so check this out http://www.kilkennytourism.ie/walking_tours or here is a great self guided walking tour with tons of info http://www.knockahopple.com/Kilkenny.pdf

Enjoy - whatever you do.

Mentioned in this post
County Wicklow
County Wicklow
Province of Leinster, Ireland
Glendalough Monastic Settlement
Glendalough Monastic...
1,722 Reviews
Vale of Glendalough, Ireland
Russborough House
Russborough House
447 Reviews
Wicklow, Ireland
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Dublin to Cork

Kilkenny isn't particularly scenic and I'm a bit meh to the castle, I'm afraid, I prefer my castles to be more like Cahir castle or else a romantic ruin.

You could take the motorway to Waterford which is on the coast and then next day continue on via Dungarvan, Youghal ,Midleton and towards Cork city which will take you along through so nice sea and mountain terrain. You could then spare a night and still not do too much driving. If you wanted to spend a second night somewhere, I'd suggest somewhere like Ballycotton, a small fishing village in east Cork.

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Cahir Castle
Cahir Castle
639 Reviews
County Tipperary, Ireland
Waterford
Waterford
Dungarvan
Dungarvan
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
514 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Dublin to Cork

My two choices would be Dungarvan & Clonakilty, though Clonakilty is about an hour west of Cork. Kilkenny is the obvious choice, but wasn't my favorite town I visited.

Mentioned in this post
Dungarvan
Dungarvan
Clonakilty
Clonakilty
County Cork, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,022 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Dublin to Cork

Just to update you on the Smithwicks tour. It's not yet up and running. It has been closed for the past year while they "upgrade" it. Must be some upgrade !! It's supposed to be open July/August but no firm date yet. If you follow them on Facebook they will announce it's opening. Hopefully soon.

Dungarvan !!! What the heck have I missed in Dungarvan?

Mentioned in this post
Dungarvan
Dungarvan
Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Dublin to Cork

I would always go for Kilkennny everytime for at least one night. The town itself is special and there is a choice wonderful drives you can take down to Cork depending on whether you take the coastal route or through the mountains of Waterford and Tipperary. I would say avoid the motorways as much as possible in favour of the lesser roads where you can stop at small towns such as Ardmore, Lismore, Youghal, and certainly Dungarvan and Clonakilty as well.

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Waterford
Waterford
Dungarvan
Dungarvan
Clonakilty
Clonakilty
County Cork, Ireland
7. Re: Drive from Dublin to Cork

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 05:17