We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Leg of Our Ireland Trip

Which Kilkenny hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Naugatuck...
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Last Leg of Our Ireland Trip

We are looking for ideas for the last couple of days of our trip. We are driving down the west coast and have our itinerary and reservations for places to stay. (Thanks to the wonderful help from TA). The last night we have booked is in Dingle. After we leave Dingle we will have the rest of that day and the night and we will have the whole next day before we have to be back in Dublin at night. Our flight leaves the following morning. The Kilkenney area was suggested and we think it's a great idea. Any suggestions for where to stay, eat, what to do. It is my husband and myself ...very interested in history, photography, local crafts. Our budget is 100 to 130 euros for the night. Thank you in advance! TA has been so very helpful!!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
14,045 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last Leg of Our Ireland Trip

Greetings Debbie,

Attractions:

St. Canice's Cathedral, Kilkenny

Kilkenny Castle, The Parade, Kilkenny

Jerpoint Abbey, Thomaston

Restaurants: No particular ranking.

Blah Blah Blah Sandwiches

3 Canal St.

Campagne Restuarant

The Arches, 5 Gas House Lane

The Vintage Tea Room

The Arches, Gas House lane

The Gourmet Store

56 High St.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 17 July 2014, 18:50
Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
826 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last Leg of Our Ireland Trip

Hello. Kilkenny is a great place with a very nice city walking tour and the castle. It is about a 5 hour drive from Dingle, but you seem to have enough time to get there and relax, and see the sites the next day before leaving for Dublin. Definitely eat and drink in Langtons, a good pub with good food. Hope this helps, and enjoy.

Ocean Shores...
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last Leg of Our Ireland Trip

Smith wicks brewery in Kilkenny has had a fabulous tour. And it is suppose to get even better! On July 31 they are revamping it. Don't know how they could top what we went on in 2010, but this is suppose to. Google Kilkenny Brewery experience for all the detail!

Rvflyer

Naugatuck...
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last Leg of Our Ireland Trip

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to following your suggestions...I appreciate your help!

Naugatuck...
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last Leg of Our Ireland Trip

Is there a good stopping point between Dingle and Kilkenney? Place to eat? Attraction?

derry
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last Leg of Our Ireland Trip

Hi Debbie,

Why not try our wonderful Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel for your City Centre accommodation needs. www.kilkennyormonde.com. Do the rock of Cashel in Tipperary, Waterford Crystal or The Blarney Stone in Cork on the way to Kilkenny.

Enjoy your Holiday

Edited: 18 July 2014, 18:14
Naugatuck...
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last Leg of Our Ireland Trip

Thank you, Colin! Will check it out!

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last Leg of Our Ireland Trip

Debbie

On your route between Dingle and Kilkenny you will pass near:

http://www.traleebaywetlands.org

http://www.cragcave.com

http://www.adarevillage.com

heritageireland.ie/en/…

I haven't visited Crag Cave; the traffic through Adare village can be heavy, but you might want to stop for a break (approx 2hrs into your drive); Tralee Bay Wetlands was interesting for me, as I enjoy learning about wildlife, and the cafe served very good food (approx 1hr from Dingle).

Rock of Cashel is one of my top sights; it never ceases to amaze me when I first catch sight of it - about 3hrs into your drive.

Hope you get everything sorted. I'm on the home run, tidying house, final packing etc, before flying to Ireland tomorrow morning. Keep en eye out for a little silver Honda Jazz with Guernsey registration plate (all digits, no letters), and a "kicking donkey" on the back! We'll be in/around Clare when you travel through.

:-)

Naugatuck...
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last Leg of Our Ireland Trip

Read a lot about the Rock of Cashel....definitely on our must see list. What do you think of Jerpoint Abbey? (Forgive me if you've answered this before...my head is filled with the names of so many places to see. How amazing would that be if we were to bump into each other! Thank you for all your help! Have a wonderful trip!!

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last Leg of Our Ireland Trip

Jerpoint Abbey is one of the best to visit (imo); beautiful features in the cloister, and the OPW staff are very welcoming and helpful. One of my favourite sites!

Have you found somewhere to stay in Kilkenny?

And please - if you see us, give us a wave or yell at us! Would be lovely to meet you!

And thank you - really looking forward to being back in Ireland again :-)