We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rain in ireland

Which Limerick hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
oxford
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
rain in ireland

I was in Ireland for Christmas. First I went to Limerick and it never stopped raining. Then went to Galway and it rained all the time and was blowing a gale. Went to Dublin and it rained. Came back to Limerick for the new year and it rained so hard and there was such a storm I thought the roof would blow off the house. What month does it not rain, want to go back then.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rain in ireland

Thats a good question, what month do ducks stop swimming ???

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,419 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rain in ireland

You were so lucky! Most months the roofs do blow off and farmers harvest the carrots from boats.

The months it doesn't rain are the ones ending in an "X".

Come on, poppy, surely you know better...?!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rain in ireland

Clauds just stuck me head out the window and GUESS WHAT its not actually raining!!!

Now where did I put me bucket and spade :-))

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,639 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rain in ireland

Poppy,

You were on the West Coast of Ireland, which ever so kindly manages to catch an awful lot of the rain so that Oxford doesn't get so much. You were also here in winter, when I am sure, it also rains in Oxford.

And regarding the wind in Limerick over New Year... I'm not a big fan of wind but it wasn't as bad as you make it out to be. There were some gusts but it was far worse in the rest of the country, Limerick got off incredibly lightly. Lets get it into perspective: We have lights on a tree in our garden (facing West) and an inflatible Santa. The lights hanging on the tree were intact, Santa only had to be deflated one evening.

GENERALLY the end of April-Start of May and End September-Start October are most settled. But remember last year was atypical.

We were in the UK last July, we moved up through the country and the floods followed us. As we travelled on the ferry back to Ireland we saw pictures of places we had been the day before, under many feet of water.

When we were in France last year, the temperatures were exactly half of what they were in 2006.

Paddy in Ireland
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: rain in ireland

I only watched the film Angela's Ashes once as it gave the false impression that it rains all the time in limerick. We know that the sun does shine in Limerick but difficult to predict what month.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,639 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rain in ireland

Well, its not raining in Limerick at this exact moment in time. Yes its incredibly cold, yes there is a bit of a breeze, and yes we have a swimming pool where formerly we used to have a back garden,

BUT ITS NOT RAINING NOW, lol!!

From July 2003 - October 2003, there was very little rain (but it was preceded by a deluge I shall not forget: we had a covered bouncy castle for a party the last day of school (end June). It got so wet, the girls went home and changed into swimming costumes and went swimming instead!!)

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rain in ireland

Bean, I'm smiling here at the thought of the child's idea of heaven, splashing and bouncing at the same time...

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,639 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rain in ireland

Doneraile, we needed that dry spell.. I have NEVER seen so much mud, I have NEVER seen so many dirty kids lol!!

And that was ONE summer. I remember sitting by the lake in Killarney, in flip flops and shirt sleeves relaxing as the sun went down, in early November.

CC6
NY State
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: rain in ireland

My sister and I were in County Cork and up through Galway for 10 days immediately before Christmas (2002 I believe) and had one afternoon of rain, that's it! We couldn't believe it.

oxford
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: rain in ireland

Not that many years ago we used to get Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn, now they are all rolled in to one. I remember getting sun burnt down in Kerry in October. Supposed we all have the Winter blues at the moment as we are lacking in day light. Nature still carries on regardless as my daffs are shooting up and I still have a rose in bloom since last year. Bless, its good to be alive