We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
where to stay

We are in a similar quandry to an earlier poster.2 adults and a 20yr old daughter. Only been to Dublin before and have little knowledge of the Limerick area. Flying into Shannon.Intending to tour around the area but based centrally around Limerick.Not sure whether to use Limerick as a base and then can go out at night for eats and bars etc without driving or to stay elsewhere and drive into Limerick for a visit but may also have to drive again for the night time fun. All ideas welcome. Thanks

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,595 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay

How long do you have for the trip? Consider a night or two in Limerick and some nights elsewhere in the area. I enjoy Limerick, but using it as a base last summer for two nights to get to and from Rock of Cashel, Bunratty, and Adare we ran into quite a bit of traffic by being on the roads in the city at the "wrong" time.

Consider Killaloe, Bunratty, or Ennis as another base. I'm not a fan of Adare personally, but I do like Ennis, a much smaller town with a bit of traffic at times but nothing like Limerick traffic.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,023 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay

Irish Fan has given you some good ideas.

I have to say, although Killaloe is beautiful, I wouldn't recommend it. The Road from Limerick to Killaloe is pretty messed up at the moment (roadworks) and the traffic in Killaloe-Ballina IMHO was far more difficult to negotiate than Limerick traffic.

The Hilton in Limerick has some great deals at the moment and is within 5 minutes walk of the centre of the city, yet in a location that is flexible enough to reach some of the city circular routes within 5 minutes.

The Absolute.com is also excellent and similarly positioned but I would NOT recommend walking from town.

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay

Many thanks to you both. We are only in Ireland for 4 nights so I don't think we are keen to have 2 locations. Any further thoughts? Again many thanks for your input.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,807 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay

well if i had only 4 nights, i would choose bunratty....

you can drive to quin, the cliffs, doolin, killaloe, spanish point etc. and without the gosh awful traffic in limerick...hehehe..

but if you are determined to stay in limerick, i recommend the woodfield house hotel...it is small and more personal.....

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
876 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay

I would stay in Limerick city centre in one of the hotels reviewed on this site. There are bars and restaurants aplenty downtown which are walkable from a number of hotels. Also clubs etc available for your daughter if she is interested. You are unlikely to be travelling for pleasure during rush hour so the traffic shouldn't really matter. I would certainly walk to the Absolute from the city centre despite some peoples reservations. Some lovely local bars a few minutes walk from here such as Cowheys and Radcliffes on The Mall or Portley's on Baals Bridge. There are fabulous sites/scenery within an hours drive of Limerick with a good range of evening entertainment available in the city centre. Enjoy.

6. Re: where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 22:18