We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental

If you need to rent a car in Limerick Ireland, stay away at all costs from Irish Car Rentals located on Ennis Rd; in Limerick. I recently rented a car for two days there. They put 1200€ on my card without telling me and then asked for another credit card for the rental fee as they said they first card would not clear. Nowhere did it say they will put 1200€ on my card. The card was blocked and I was paralyzed for funds. It was a horrible experience and these people are really sneaky. It is unethical and really ruined the vacation. At that time, it was almost $2000 US for two days. They are arrogant to boot.To make matters worse, they insisted on the fuel costs up front which was never mentioned. This does not reflect the spirit of Ireland. Try Hertz or Avis but get it clear first about the card charges.This is not the first horror story I have heard on renting a car in Ireland.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,809 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car Rental

Canuck, I haven't hired from them, but they are linked to Ennis Road Motors who are a fine company.

It would appear that the issue the OP has is with the deposit for the car being lodged against his credit card. But regardless of company, there will be a deposit hold anyhow.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Car Rental

Ok - I think that that'll be fine. I told him there are often extra charges for insurance and stuff so I think it's all worked out.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,390 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car Rental

Canuck, just read Bean's post.

Ennis Road Motors sold me a car a few years back and they were fine, good after sales service etc etc.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,497 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Car Rental

well my goodness...mike you should have come here first....we would have told you to buy the super cdw coverage for 10-15 euro per day, that would have made your deductible 0-100 euro and there would have been at most a 100 euro hold on your car, most places zero hold.....

homework, homework, homework....will avoid lots of frustrations....while i do think car rental in ireland is legalized theft, this situation could have been avoided.....so don't be bitter, the next time you come to ireland, let trip advisor help you and you will leave with a smile.....

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car Rental

Oh boy, it looks like we've been had, it appears that Mike is in fact - A TROLL. D'oh.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Car Rental

Another worthy first post to the Tripadvisor Forums.

Irish Car Rentals and Ennis road motors are part of the larger ICR group.

A worthy car hire company with good vehicles and lots of choice.

The city centre location in Limerick is due to its dealership on the Ennis road. It is a similar rationale to Enterprise car rental.

Everything ICR did was normal. Placing a credit card hold and requesting a fuel deposit. That is nothing different from any International car hire company.

A clear misunderstanding with the terms of the car hire.

"This is not the first horror story I have heard on renting a car in Ireland." It wont be the last either.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,809 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Car Rental

Bertie - clarification just in case we have visitors tumbling around O'Connell Street and William Street looking for Irish Car Rentals.

They are a City firm, but not city centre. They are approximately 2 miles from the city centre on the Ennis Road, within a couple of minutes walk from the Greenhills Hotel.

california
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Car Rental

Now I'm wondering if I should be renting a car from there. My husband and I are going to be in Limerick and we're thinking of possibly getting a car from there. Should we not be doing this now? Has anyone else heard horror stories about this car rental place?

Thanks

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Car Rental

No - They are a reputable Car Hire Company that have been in business for a long time. I don't have any information to change that view.

I think the original poster last Oct was shall we say "suspect".

As with all Car Hire companies check the terms and conditions in advance.

20. Re: Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2009, 07:21