We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Limerick April 9-11 2009

Wisconsin, USA
5 posts
Save Topic
What to do in Limerick April 9-11 2009

What should we do/see while there? Only have 2 1/2 days. Would like to visit the Market on Sat, but our flight leaves from Shannon at 12:45pm. What time does the market open? We are staying at the Two Mile Inn, in part because we won't be staying in our rooms much-we will be out and about. I'm alittle nervous about staying there after reading a post about what nurses do in the bar there!! By the way I'm a nurse-haha! I heard it is really loud in that hotel when there is a rugby match, wondering if there is a big match that weekend. Ladies, I'm also interested in shopping there. Mostly looking for wool sweaters and pottery. Any advice would be helpful. We are traveling from the USA and have never been to Ireland before. The first week of our trip we are staying in Tralee at the Countarrive House. I haven't been able to find any reviews on this house, anyone heard of it? Is there anything else we should do when we are down in Tralee, besides the obvious Ring of Kerry, etc? Thanks for any advice-much appreciated!!

The Milk Market
Flea & Street Markets
Brown Thomas
Department Stores, Gift & Speciality Shops
Lucky Lane
Gift & Speciality Shops
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,663 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Limerick April 9-11 2009

I'm sorry. I've got some VERY bad news for you...

The 10th April is Good Friday. Most things will be closed. The pubs will be closed. There will not be any rugby on the Friday...

But if you are into Church Services, then Caherdavin Church is only about 1.5 miles away and there will be a big Church Service at 2.45 or so on the Friday.

When you arrive on the Thursday, you will be coming from Tralee. The Crescent Shopping Centre is on that side of town. Follow the signs for the Hospital. The Crescent Shopping Centre is about a half a mile from the Regional Hospital, heading towards the City.

Carraig Donn is near BB's Muffins and they do some pottery and woolens but they also stock Newbridge Silver which is lovely.

The Crescent is shopping heaven. www.crescentshoppingcentre.ie

For "traditional" stuff, head out to Bunratty. Blarney Woollen Mills have a great shop there and you will get what you want there. Ferdia (Bunratty DE) will know more about whether they are open or not on Good Friday.

The Two Mile Inn is on a fairly busy road, please take care when driving in and out. To get back into the City from the Two Mile Inn, you will have to drive out as far as the Radisson and then cross the motorway turning back towards Limerick.

In terms of pubs that night - either designate a driver or get a cab. The road where the Two Mile Inn is is policed very rigidly and frequently. It is not a place to break any of the motoring laws.

Nancy Blakes is on Denmark Street in Limerick and is a great pub. It will probably be heaving on the Thursday night but... its a good place. Try to be there before 10.00am, you are less likely to have to queue.

Flannerys is down the road from Nancy's and also very popular.

On the Friday night, you should be able to be served alcohol in the Two Mile Inn. Residents can be served alcohol. You will also have to eat in the Two Mile that night as the majority of restaurants will be shut.

Tralee: Visit the Dingle Peninsula and Dingle Crystal.

Ring of Kerry and Valentia Island and Skellig Chocolates.

Beara Peninsula and Glengarriff. Beautiful.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
881 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Limerick April 9-11 2009

Thursday April 9 will be a busy night in Limerick and every other town in Ireland. Friday is Good Friday and by law all the pubs close, so Thursday will be a party night. Friday will be good for shopping, I'll leave the advice on sweaters and pottery to those in the know. The market opens at 8am so you may have time to visit. There is a big rugby game that weekend, but unfortunately for you it's on the Sunday, April 12, Munster v Ospreys in the Heineken Cup 1/4 final. Enjoy your visit to Limerick.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
56,555 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Limerick April 9-11 2009

"Nancy Blakes is on Denmark Street in Limerick and is a great pub. It will probably be heaving on the Thursday night but... its a good place. Try to be there before 10.00am, you are less likely to have to queue."

Starting them a bit early, are we? :)

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Limerick April 9-11 2009

"Countarrive House" in Tralee?

Never heard of it which worries me. Are you sure thats the correct spelling?

Eire
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Limerick April 9-11 2009

What do nurses do in the Two Mile Inn?????? I might pay a visit this weekend to find out.

Irishfan, Bean is a bit of a lush.. 10am to her is late....

Wisconsin, USA
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Limerick April 9-11 2009

Thank you sooo much for the invaluable advice. It is good to know everything will be closed on Good Friday.

I did read about the Bunratty Mills and had hoped to go there, so I will check to see if they are open on Friday.

I have heard so many great things about the Irish people and you and the others have proved that true by taking the time to answer my questions. Have a Happy Easter!

Wisconsin, USA
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Limerick April 9-11 2009

I checked the spelling and it is Countarrive House. We found it on the web site www.KerryCountryHome.com.

We rented the entire house for 1 week, but now I'm alittle worried too. The owner didn't ask for an monies up front, but obviously we want to have a place to stay when we arrive in Tralee. If you find out any more information could you please let me know. Thank you so much!

Wisconsin, USA
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Limerick April 9-11 2009

I'm not sure exactly what nurses do at the two Mile Inn. I read on another post that that is where nurses go to do something (it was an Irish term I'm not familiar with) but it made it seem like it was something naughty!!

Was Irish Bean really serious about getting to the pub by 10am? If that is what we have to do then it won't be a problem if everything is closed on Friday, because we won't be in any shape to do anything after that!!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in Limerick April 9-11 2009

Hi Caralynn, I think that's a spelling mistake on their website.. If you look at the bottom of the page, you will see it is spelt Clountarrive. Not sure if that helps !

Wisconsin, USA
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in Limerick April 9-11 2009

Thank you LadyWanderer. Judging by the pictures on their wed site it looks like a nice enough place, but I certainly would feel better if there were some reviews of it somewhere! I guess we will just have to take our chances and see what it is like when we get there.

I have another question. what is the weather typically like there in the beginning of April? We know to bring good rain coats, but if we are doing alot of walking around the countryside, do we need boots vs tennis shoes? Thanks again for your input-much appreciated. We are getting very excited to visit your beautiful country!!