We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Chinese for Dinner on Sat...

Which Limerick hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cork
Level Contributor
120 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Good Chinese for Dinner on Sat...

Hi everyone,

Me and my buddy are off to Limerick on Fri for a few beverages and the like!

I've read all the bits and bobs on pubs so won't ask about that - will check out some of the recommendations! What I would like to know is whether there is a nice, reasonablably priced Chinese in the City for scran on Sat before we head out...

We are staying at the Marriott, can't place where that is as it wasn't in Limerick last time I was there; so anywhere near there would be great :)

Thanks!

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Chinese for Dinner on Sat...

The Marriott is a central as it gets, and the obvious choice would be the Jasmine, although some may not regard it at too reasonable, and in the strict sense, it is Cantonese.

http://www.jasminepalace.ie/

Its reliable though!

The Peony Court Chinese Restaurant at Punches cross (Bean - maybe a 15 minute walk along O'Connell eve?) - I've heard good things, is not visibly impressive - but reasonable.

If you're open to Thia, Copper and Spice is great, and amid a few other ethnic restaurants in Cornmarket row that I have not tried, but it's reasonable and busy.

http://www.copperandspice.com/

Finally - there's a grand cheapie place near you on O'Connell street called the Woking - I think?

Beanalainn, Ryano or Johnnyo might have some other ideas.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Chinese for Dinner on Sat...

....O'Connell eve?

Grrrr = O'Connell Ave.

Lightblue or Sommerville might have ideas too...as might all the other Limerick posters, darn...I shouldn't mention posters in threads, it's like sending out wedding invitations:)

LB - thanks for that help in the Paris forum...I didn't read those helpful responses until after we made it back, so will use them on our next trip.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
859 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Chinese for Dinner on Sat...

Jasmine Palace on O'Connell St. is supposed to be best. Ze Wae Ton (spelling?) in the Old Quarter also gets good reviews. The Hong Kong on William St. is one of the oldest in Limerick and as Ferdia said the Woking is a canteen like Chinese that gets good reviews, also owned by the JP people. The Peony Court is 15-20 mins away from the city centre and thus away from the majority of pubs, all the others are city centre.

Cork
Level Contributor
120 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Chinese for Dinner on Sat...

Thanks for that! Will have a look there.

Now, regarding Sat night, we are looking at either an Italian or bistro style. I've heard there is a CornStore in Limerick (nothing on menupages??!) and have eaten at the Cork one which is fab - can you advise or suggest somewhere else for Sat?

Cheers!

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Chinese for Dinner on Sat...

Sam - I keep reading your name as Sam Cooke.

There's a Luigi Malones nearby the hotel if you like the Cork version (it's absolutely fine) and a personal favourite (although I think LB or Bean had a bad experience recently) is Bella Italia.

Reasonable, decent food - and great service:

I can't seem to find the web link.

Cornmarket - absolutely...brilliant, but book ahead, I posted something on it recently.

Hamptons is right by your hotel..and worth considering, although not Italian.

Busy and inexpensive, great atmosphere -and run by a sound Feakle man:)

http://www.hamptonsgrill.ie/

Finally, La Piccola Italia is a sound, old choice - bar one bad report that I have heard, it's always got a thumbs up, although I have not eaten there in a while.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,974 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Chinese for Dinner on Sat...

The Jasmine is the best by far.

I like the Peony Court, but its in Punches Cross which isn't city Centre and I think the Jasmine is much better.

If you're looking for good value, then get the earlybird menu.

If you're really going budget, then the Wokking underneath is owned by the Jasmine and the food is of good quality (but not as good as the Jasmine) and the surroundings are "functional".

www.jasminepalace.ie

This will give you an idea of prices and menus.

Check out the reviews of the Jasmine here on TA, including my own. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g186621-d6…

The Wokking don't appear to have their own site, but this page gives you an idea or range and prices (don't know how up to date it is, but it seems pretty consistent with what I paid a few weeks ago)

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Chinese for Dinner on Sat...

Here's that Bella Italia link - I knew it was an easy one!

http://www.bellaitalia.ie/

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,974 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Chinese for Dinner on Sat...

Oops, forgot the Wokking Link

inlimerick.ie/Venues/Restaurants/Wokking_Res…

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Chinese for Dinner on Sat...

Another spot close to your hotel for Saturday:

http://www.freddysbistro.com/

Again, I have not eaten there in a while, so Bean & others will have a better idea as to how it is these days.

Now - need to do some wokking.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,974 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Chinese for Dinner on Sat...

I had a bad experience in Bella Italia in November. The meal was disappointing, and doubly disappointing because we previously had some excellent meals there.

Luigis is nice, great quality food and under the Jasmine. Their Bailey's Creme Brulee Ice Cream is phenomenal!! Simply phenomenal. Other food is fab there and a great range. Click here to get a menu luigimalones.com/LUIGIMALONES/…limerick.htm

Their Baileys Creme Brulee Icecream is almost as good as the Baileys Creme Brulee in the Mount Wolseley Hilton (do you notice a trend here? !!)