We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patrick Punch's Hotel closure.

Which Limerick hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Patrick Punch's Hotel closure.

Sad to read this in today's Limerick Chronicle.

Before it was developed as today's PP Hotel it was a landmark pub, particularly popular at Christmas time.

For those with a passing knowledge of the city it is mid way between Crescent Shopping Centre and Limerick's city centre.

50 people have lost their jobs...it's another casualty of Limerick's (and Sligo's) over development of hotels during the boom years.

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,264 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Patrick Punch's Hotel closure.

I' was just reading this on-line Ferdia.

Very sad state of affairs, particularly when so many staff are owed so much money by the company.

When it was just a pub, it was a great place. Particularly when there was racing on in Greenpark. But I think the owners lost the run of themselves a bit in the expansion.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Patrick Punch's Hotel closure.

Very sad to here this news and I agree that the expansion really made a mess of things for them.

Punch's bar was one amazing place in the 80's and 90's and many is the night I spent in there spotting the talent!

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Patrick Punch's Hotel closure.

True Bean.

It's a nasty business for the staff but sadly I don't think it'll be the first in Limerick as NAMA runs its course. Working for free for so long (assuming there were no big earners, €5k must have is a while to build up for the person mentioned in the Leader) seems almost cruel.

Bannergirl...the talent...that was me!!! :)))

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Patrick Punch's Hotel closure.

Lol ferdia. I knew I should have gone over to talk to you.

I missed my chance:-)

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,163 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Patrick Punch's Hotel closure.

Used to wander in when we were at college, sad to see it go so badly.

Anchorage
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Patrick Punch's Hotel closure.

Great hotel when we visited in 2007. We could see the real estate signs everywhere. Reminded us of the California bubble. Everything goes in cycles from good to bad and good again.

7. Re: Patrick Punch's Hotel closure.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Limerick