We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Limerick as a Base?

Which Limerick hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Using Limerick as a Base?

Hello, sorry if I'm repeating something already asked. There's over 600 posts. I don't have that kind of patience. :) First time trip to Ireland this June (2014). Traveling with a friend. We are looking for something to fill our last part of the trip. 3 days, 2 nights. We'll be in Dublin, Galway, Donegal, and Kingscourt for the beginning part of our trip. Wondering if we should spend the rest of it in Limerick and use that as a base for visiting Ring of Kerry and Blarney Castle (on separate days) or will we be so sick of driving at that point? We depart from Dublin at 3:45p the last day. Enough time to drive from Limerick to Dublin airport?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
164 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Limerick as a Base?

An option to Limerick is Killarney. It's on the doorstep of Killarney National Park with lots to see and do with amazing scenery. Killarney is also a great touring base for ROK. Also it's a great town for walking and pubs.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,595 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Limerick as a Base?

Isn't just as well some of us have patience :)

Limerick isn't a good base for the Ring of Kerry and Blarney. The Ring of Kerry takes a full day so you need to position yourself ON the ring.

If you are leaving from Dublin at 3.45pm on the last day, you will need to be in Dublin by 12.45 Noon.

It takes 3 hours to get from Cork to Dublin but you need to leave some buffer time in case of accidents or roadworks.

So, in effect you have 2 days. If you are coming to Kerry from Galway, I would suggest you consider leaving early and drive down to Killarney then to Killorglin and on to Cahersiveen. And maybe even Waterville.

Next day drive to Kenmare then over to Cork and then to Blarney. Then if you can make it head towards Dublin.

You need to work out your distances and of course tell us where you are coming from before you get to Kerry.

routes.aaireland.ie is a good tool for working out distances and estimated times. However you need to add on about 10% to the times.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,110 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Limerick as a Base?

Even with an afternoon flight I would want to be within an hour or 2 at most from the departure airport. That said there are options from Limerick.. You could drop the car at Shannon so reducing the cost of car hire, take a tour of the ring from Limerick and get the bus to Bunratty as substitute for Blarney, Then Bus to Dublin Airport with Dublin Coach.

dublincoach.ie/timetables/dublin_coach_journ…

www.paddywagontours.com/tourView.php?id=238

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,595 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Limerick as a Base?

Tony, I live in Limerick. I LOVE the Ring of Kerry. But you really can't do the Ring of Kerry from Limerick.

The only Day Tour operator working out of Limerick (formerly Barrats now Martins) does not do a Ring of Kerry tour.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,110 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using Limerick as a Base?

Was looking for Barrats replacement but found PWgn 1st. bit lazy really.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,595 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using Limerick as a Base?

The Paddywagon Tour is a very fast tour around the Ring.

While I think Paddywagon work to a certain demographic and serve this purpose very well, not everyone will enjoy their highly paced trips.

It wouldn't suit me.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,510 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using Limerick as a Base?

Paddywagon seem to list sites/sights that you might see through the window as they whizz by. Wouldn't suggest a tour with them to my worst enemy.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using Limerick as a Base?

Great suggestions so far, thanks all. Bean is right - a bus tour is not our style. We're in our 30's and prefer to travel on our own. I'm just concerned that after all the driving the first 6 days, we may not want to do any more. On Day 8, we will be departing Kingscourt. We fly out of Dublin on Day 10. So not technically 3 full days, but enough to squeeze in a nice stop for breakfast and scenery before flying out? Do we want to stay put the last part of the trip, and if so, where? Or do we want to squeeze in a bit more of the "must-see" places?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using Limerick as a Base?

I should add that we are spending our first 2 days in Dublin before heading out on our castle tour. (Self-guided)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,110 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using Limerick as a Base?

What is the itinerary of the self drive Castle trip as to what can be slipped in?

I haven't taken a Paddywaggon tour but have had personal contact with its customers, seem a lot happier bunch and stay up later than some tour bus clients. General comments I make is that you need to be under 50 in mind and fitness and not take things too seriously.