We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused As To What Type of Electrical Converter To Use

Which Limerick hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Camden, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Confused As To What Type of Electrical Converter To Use

We will be staying in Glin, Limerick, in May 2014. I know I have to bring a converter to step down the Irish current of 220/240 volts to 110/120 volts for our electronics. What's driving me nuts is that there are so many different outlet configurations mentioned by other travelers.

Some people said to just buy the converters at the airport upon arrival (Shannon). For those of you that live in County Limerick, is there a standard plug configuration or does it vary?

Cheers!

Bob

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,641 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused As To What Type of Electrical Converter To Use

Robert, Limerick and County Limerick is integrated with Ireland both politically and electrically and Ireland is integrated with the UK electrically.

THEREFORE we use a 3 pin plug. Image below (I hope!!)

http://tinyurl.com/qdelwoq

We use one of these converters for France:

dhgate.com/product/…162162047.html

It configures into whatever electrical wall socket there is. Its a great little one.

Edited: 03 March 2014, 13:28
Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused As To What Type of Electrical Converter To Use

First step is to see what you really need. Look on the back of your device and see if it says 100-240V. If it does say this you do not need a converter. You only need a plug adaptor. it will look like this:

<http://www.amazon.com/Bright-3-Prong-Travel-Outlet-Adapter/dp/B000PQL7AQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1393853199&sr=8-6&keywords=110-240v+plug+adaptor>

if it does NOT say 100-240V don't bring it with you. Buy whatever you need when you arrive. Almost every electronic device sold in the US (and most other countries) are already set for multiple voltage. You just need to adapt the plug. Voltage converters were heavy and dangerous. If you didn't use the right one for the device you could have some serious problems.

By the way, you can buy those plug adaptors much cheaper than the one in the Amazon link. It was just a handy picture for mew to find.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,641 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused As To What Type of Electrical Converter To Use

When I use we in the first section I mean all of us in Limerick and County Limerick. And in Ireland. And in the UK.

When I use we in the second section I mean "The Bean Family".

:o)

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused As To What Type of Electrical Converter To Use

bob, paul's advice is correct....just go to walmart, kmart, etc., and you can buy plug adapters in a package which will include one that probably says "Ireland"....if it's low voltage like curling irons, flat irons, hair dryers (no need to bring hair dryer, 99.9% of accommodations will have those) , electric razors, DO NOT bring it......it will literally smoke and burn.....

things like phones, ipads, laptops, are dual voltage and you'll just need the adapter to plug into Ireland's electric plugs....

I don't know about electric razors but I do know you can buy hair care appliances at the above mentioned stores that are dual voltage and for less than $20....

Camden, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused As To What Type of Electrical Converter To Use

Bean A: the image was very clear and helpful.

Paul: I checked all the AC charging units for my laptop, Kindle Fire, Nook, etc., and saw the 110-240V input you referred to. I assume the charging unit has the built in step-down transformer built in and then all I would need are the 3-pin adaptor plugs that you both mentioned.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply!

Bob

Camden, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused As To What Type of Electrical Converter To Use

Thanks, Oma. More good advice! :)

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused As To What Type of Electrical Converter To Use

Anything like Kindles, digital cameras, smartphones are going to be multi voltage and all you need is a plug adaptor. Hairdryers and curlers may or may not be multi voltage. Those are the ones you want to buy when you get here if the place you stay doesn't have them available.

have a great trip!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,641 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused As To What Type of Electrical Converter To Use

If you need to buy electrical appliances here, Argos aren't always the cheapest but you can ring and reserve and check stock which makes it much easier.

There are a number of Argos shops in Limerick City

http://www.argos.ie/

Canada
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused As To What Type of Electrical Converter To Use

Also pack a small power bar, I found that some hotel rooms and BB's did not have an over abundance of sockets and this way you can charge more than one electronic at a time.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused As To What Type of Electrical Converter To Use

good point mathlady....I forgot to mention that....

I found out from my son, you can buy a rechargeable razor....probably everyone already knew that but me....also, I looked at walmart online and they have curling/flat irons dual voltage from $7.81-$25.......don't think you could buy them that cheap in Ireland and if you buy them here you can use them at home too.....