We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Up North for Shopping

cork
Level Contributor
198 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Up North for Shopping

Staying in Drogheda for a few days, can any one tell me where up

North would be the place to go for shopping. Is Newry a good spot

for clothes shopping and supermarket shopping. Any Hollister in that area.. Is there a good train service to this area. See an outlet

centre think its call banbridge, is this good as some outlet are not much good really.

thanks

13 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,127 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Up North for Shopping

Newry is very popular. The outlet near Banbridge is only ok.

discovernorthernireland.com/The-Quays-Shoppi…

I know there's a Hollister in Belfast,don't know about anywhere else.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Up North for Shopping

Newry is grand for normal high street shops, most of which are situated either in the Buttercrane or The Quays

http://www.buttercraneshopping.co.uk/

http://www.thequays.co.uk/

The city centre itself is nice to wander around, with some local shops, a Woolworths, Menarys and others. I say city, although it feels more like a town.

The "Pampers and Larger Brigade" have kinda abandoned it (as cheap in Tesco and Dunnes Stores down south nowadays) so there is a bit of peace pottering around! I was in it recently and couldnt believe how abandoned it looked with very few Southern cars, and we had a choice of parking! Unheard of a while ago.

The Outlet as Harvey mentioned is another 10 minutes north of Newry. It's the type of place to pop into, if passing with a wide range of shops, but not a place I would have as a destination. In saying that, if you are travelling up from Cork, and only 10minutes away if you visit Newry, then I'd reckon it's worth a visit. http://www.the-outlet.co.uk/ I've often called in and got good bargains, other times I'd wish I hadnt bothered stopping at all.

Hollister is in the Victoria Square in Belfast www.victoriasquare.com

My favourite supermarket shop is Sainsburys at Sprucefield in Lisburn. Huge with a homeware/clothes department etc. (One in Newry too, but not as bit and not as good a range of products) There is a Huge Marks & Spencer the other side of the roundabout (one of their largest). You could spend the day between the two shops.

If you have your own transport, I'd head to

1. Sprucefield (Sainsburys) if you want a supermarket shop

2. Head on in the 10minutes to Belfast city and have a wander around Victoria Centre/Castlecourt and the numerous shopping streets

3. If you have the time on route back South, pop into Banbridge.

That way, you will have all covered.

If you dont have your own transport, there are frequest bus and trains to Newry and Belfast from Drogheda.

If you want shopping in Drogheda, The Laurence Centre and Scotch Hall are the main contenders nowadays (albeit a significant number of the units in each are closed up)

http://www.laurencetowncentre.com/ & http://scotchhall.ie/

p.s. Newry often offer incentives for Southern Shoppers - i.e better exchange rates/pound for euro and the likes.

Edited: 04 March 2012, 18:21
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Up North for Shopping

Typo error

Sainsburys in Newry is not as BIG as Sprucefield

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,127 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Up North for Shopping

meh to Scotchhall except for the Waterstones.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Up North for Shopping

meh too Harvey!

It's a cold, soulless place. Only time I go in is if I'm waiting on hubbie whilst he gets his hair cut. He likes the barbershop in it. They do a great job on the bit he has left!

Another legacy of our dear old celtic tiger.

cork
Level Contributor
198 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Up North for Shopping

Thanks a mill for all of that info... Very helpful indeed all of you

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,127 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Up North for Shopping

good deals to be had in the D hotel next door though.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,303 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Up North for Shopping

The Outlet in Banbridge is worth a look ,theres a great GAP,M&S can be hit & miss,NIKE is also good lots of other shops there.I usually go in April & November.

Love Sprucefield aswell,Sainsburys not as busy as Newry & alot bigger.

Would you take the train & go on up to Belfast ? Belfast is fantastic for shopping !

cork
Level Contributor
198 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Up North for Shopping

Fantastic deals in the D Hotel.... Brilliant.. Thank you

cork
Level Contributor
198 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply