We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help please for great 4 days not sure if this is best

Which County Mayo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
suffolk
Level Contributor
191 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
help please for great 4 days not sure if this is best

Hope someone can please help me plan our first trip to Ireland. me. In October, after a few days in Dublin & Drogheda, we're driving from Drogheda to west of ireland. we have four days, then take plane from Shannon home. Could anyone suggest best route down, shoud we stick to AA route, or maybe detour and see something special on the way?

We are happy to have 1 night at 1 place + another 2 nights elsewhere. We love wild cliffs + wondered about Moher. Also love boat trips, Kilary fjord, Connemra Loop looked lovely.

I wondered if we could go across to Connera and then down past cliffs of Moher ending at Shannon? Is this too much.

Any ideas on B & Bs would be great, especially with sea or fantastic views.

Maybe there's somewhere nearer Shannon that would be great. Any suggestions would be welcomed as it's so hard to work out a do able route from AA. Thankyou

San Diego, CA
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: help please for great 4 days not sure if this is best

Greetings ....

My husband and I just went to Ireland back in May of 2005 and drove through the west. We started in Dublin, took the train to Sligo, then rented a car and took the western coastal route - some inland. We did the following in about 10 days, but you could probably do your trip in four. (We only drove 3-4 hours on the days we did go to another village.)

We rented a car in Sligo at the airport, then drove to Foxford in the County Mayo . From there we went to Westport and then onto Cong - which is a beautiful small fishing village where a good portion of the Quiet Man was filmed. On the drive from Westport to Cong, you drive through the valley of the Faminie March and will see the memorial headstone - its very moving. From Cong we made our way to Ennis. From Ennis we went on to Dingle, which is a wonderful fishing village with great seafood. From Dingle we drove to Kinsale - another wonderful fishing village with great seafood. From Kinsale we drove north through Cork and spent our last night outside of Limerick near the Shannon airport.

The Cliffs of Moher are amazing, but we felt is was a major tourist spot - especially after being in Cong where you are pretty much the only non-Irish there. You should see them if you get a chance, but go early to avoid the crowds and all the tour buses.

When we go back to Ireland, we're not going to stay near the Shannon airport - huge mistake. I didn't see any hotels or B&B's rated very well in Limerick, so we decided on the Radisson near the airport for an easy commute to catch our morning flight. Now realizing they don't have traffic in Shannon, we should have stayed in Ennis or a B&B near Ennis and driven the 20 or so miles to the airport. Limerick is a large industrial town that isn't overly appealing.

My suggestion is to grab a map of Ireland and the book "Ireland for Dummies" from Borders or Barnes & Noble. That book was terrific and will help you chose the route you're interested in. My friend at work borrowed it for her trip and they couldn't believe how dead on all the suggestions were.

Have a great trip and don't hesitate to ask about places to stay. I know for sure you do not want to stay at the Best Western in Dublin. Don't go cheap there or you'll be awake all night - trust me. Its an expensive city, but spluging for just a few nights is very much worth a good nights sleep and service.

2. Re: help please for great 4 days not sure if this is best

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 10:17