We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Newport - what to do there?

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend in Newport - what to do there?

My husband and I along with my in-laws are spending a weekend in Newport, Co. Mayo in July. Never really been to Co. Mayo except once or twice to Knock when I was a child. I need some advice on where to go, what to do/see and any good places to eat out. If anyone could let me know where the nearest nice beach is that would be great.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in Newport - what to do there?

its beautiful in newport - its just a few miles past westport - and westport is a lovely town - gorgeous scenery, walks - stayed there a couple of times and loved every minute of it.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in Newport - what to do there?

Depending on your likes and dislikes Newport is a small town, whereas most folks looking for something livlier tend to go to Westport which has plenty of retaurants and pub entertainment etc. Can certainly recommend you spend a day on Achill Island if the weather is good, if not then don't bother. Other places of interest nearby are the Museum of Countrylife at Turlough, five miles from Castlebar. Free entry to the museum which also has an excellent coffee shop serving nice food, ideal for lunch. Also worth driving to Kylemore Abbey where the Victorian gardens are well worth a visit and the restaurant is pretty good to.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in Newport - what to do there?

Thanks for that Kylemore Abbey does sound like a good idea. I like the idea of Achill Island as well and will keep that in mind. Txs.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in Newport - what to do there?

We visit Newport when staying on Achill and although it is an attractive and pleasant little town, as Cavan007 has said there's really not a lot going on.

I would highly recommend Achill for a visit in good or not so good weather. If you wait for a good weather day to visit anywhere in Ireland, you'd probably go nowhere! I've been on Achill in all seasons and in all kinds of weather, and it's always beautiful.

There are glorious beaches (including Keel Strand, Keem Beach, the Golden and Silver Strands), a deserted village, cliffs, mountains and coastal scenery reminiscent of Dingle. It's great place for walking, cycling, swimming, driving and indulging in watersports.

Keel is the main village on the island and for lunch you could try the Beehive Cafe (lovely fresh food and gorgeous crafts) or the Achill Cliff House (try the local lamb or seafood and enjoy the views of Minaun Cliffs and Keel beach).

It's great fun on the island during the Scoil Acla traditional music festival which this year will be held from 27th July to 2nd August.

http://www.scoilacla.com/

For more information on Achill, check out:

http://www.achilltourism.com/

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in Newport - what to do there?

Be sure to visit the tower house that once belonged to Grace O' Malley (Gráinne Mhaol) ,at high tide the castle/tower is accessible on stepping stones. It was said of Grace that she slept with the mooring rope of her fleet of ships tied to her ankle and a visit to Rockfleet shows that this would have been possible.

irelandseye.com/aarticles/…rockfleet.shtm

www.flickr.com/photos/sewerdoc/1304657893/

6. Re: Weekend in Newport - what to do there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2009, 07:18