We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walks around Westport

Haydock
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Walks around Westport

Have been to Mayo a number of times, (my favourite place on earth) but apart from climbing the Reek on the last occasion, haven't really done any waklking over there. Will be staying in Murrisk in August and would love to do a few walks, but don't want to get lost! Any ideas?

Cheers

Elayne

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walks around Westport

Hi Elayne

Pity you are not travelling the beginning of July. The Annual Castlebar Walking Festival takes place around the 1st week and by all accounts it is a funfilled event. Walkers travel from all over the world for the organised walks in and around the vicinity. Check out http://www.castlebar4dayswalks.com/info.htm.

Have a look at the website http://www.walking.ireland.ie which may provide links to walks in the area. I have used it before and always found the information good and also www.westporttourism.com/pages/walks.html

Hope this helps!

Haydock
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Walks around Westport

Hi

thanks for that - I will have a look on those websites.

Cheers

Elayne

Auburn, CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walks around Westport

Elayne,

Is the Reek the same then as Crough Patrick?

We were just in Westport and we wanted to walk Killary Harbour one afternoon, but managed to screw around most of the day getting there and then overshot the road to the trail head, but it looks like a fun and easy 10 km circular hike!

The Walking in Ireland book is a bit old and I think some reference points changed, but I can give you a little more detail now on its location if you're interested.

Brett

Haydock
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Walks around Westport

Hiya

Yes Croagh Patrick is also known as the Reek, although I don't know why! I would appreciate some more details, if you have them - that would be great, thanks. I also plan on getting hold of a more detailed map when I get there.

Thanks

Elayne

Dublin
Level Contributor
201 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walks around Westport

Little piece of info for you - Croagh Patrick was once a volcano, possibly over 10,000 years ago, hence the name Reek. My great great grandfather was part of the team that built the church on top of it and my great grandfather and grandfather have restored it over the years. Imagine going up and down that mountain up to ten times a day with only a poor donkey to carry all the materials!

Auburn, CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walks around Westport

Elayne,

The Killary Harbour walk is on the south side of Killary Harbour, about 20 miles or so south of Wesport (past Leenane - also referred to as Leenaun), accessed from the N59. If you get the OSI Discovery Series Map for this area (1:50,000), you should be just fine or locals can probably direct you. Our problem was in trying to find the trail head at the east end of the walk (closest to the N59). You may be better off accessing the walk at the west end at Rosroe Village towards the mouth of the harbor. I believe there is a a youth hostel at Rosroe but no other faciities.

Regarding accessing the walk at the east end, I now believe the correct acess would be at the end of an unmarked minor road located a little north of the signposted road to Tully Cross along the north side of Lough Fee (this all occuring about 8km south of Leenane). The unmarked road is located a little south of Bunowen River. The 2003 guidebook I was using indicated this road to be signposted for Sli na Chonamara, but we sure didn't see such signage - but such things easily change.

Rosroe appears to be accessible via the Tully Cross road. (Note, this is road is not to be confused with a more direct road to Tully Cross occuring further on the N59 past Kylemore Abbey.)

I'm sure this description is vague without a map for reference, but hopefully it will generally place it better for you.

Enjoy.

Haydock
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Walks around Westport

Brett - Many thanks - that's great. I've ordered 2 os maps, which should also prove useful.

Cheers

Elayne

Haydock
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Walks around Westport

Chachachachacha

That makes a lot of sense - we've always thought it looks like a volcano! I have a lot of admiration for anyone involved with building the church - It's hard enough just walking up there (but well worth it nonetheless!)Thanks for the info

Cheers

Elayne

westport
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Walks around Westport

a guy called gerry greensmith does guided walks in the area and generally has groups at that time of year. you should look up his site and link up with one of his groups.He is a good guy and generally has small groups.

Tarpon Springs, FL
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walks around Westport

Just returned from a 6 days of walking around Westport, and can also recommend gerry greensmyth. I agree he's the best around. Why not take the ferry over to Clare Island and walk the paths there? Breathtaking views! Might also consider Connemara National Park, and the trails along the north side of Clew Bay along the foothills of the Nephin mountain range.

Get answers to your questions about Westport
Recent Conversations