We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging along N17

Green Bay
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging along N17

Hi there, we need a place for 2 nights while visiting Westport, Clare Island, Knock, Ballintubber Abbey with being in good position to drive to the Rock of Cashel on the way to Cobh for the next night. Is that too ambitious? We're beginning in Doolin the 1st night. Our time is limited with wanting to see the above mentioned along with Kinsale, on the way to Killarney where we have reservations the 5th night for a business meeting the following day. Any suggestions around Tuam and Cobh? Thank you so much, Kathy

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging along N17

Kathy

I think Tuam might be too far away to be a good base from which to see sights in co. Mayo - in particular a visit to Clare Island. I'd thought of Claremorris, which is further up the N17, and even staying there will involve min. 3hr round-trip to Roonagh Quay (for the ferry to Clare).

I've not stayed in Claremorris - just driven through several times on my way to/from Knock airport.

The McWilliam Park Hotel is near the N17 (so could be noisy) and seems to be the best of those properties listed here on Tripadvisor:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g887213-Claremorris…

It's Alot to pack into 4 days. Is the visit to Kinsale/Cobh an absolute must?? Claremorris to Cobh via Cashel is 315km and will take 4.5-5hrs depending on traffic . . . . And you'll probably spend a couple of hours in Cashel, so it will be a very busy day.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,890 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging along N17

I saw on your other post that you are flying into Shannon; are you also flying out of there?

Green Bay
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging along N17

You're right, I thought Claremorris seemed a better base and I'm not crazy about driving that many hours in one day to Cobh. I think we'd give up Cashel in order to see Cobh, but 5 hours sounds like a lot to me. Thank you so much, it would be very difficult to figure this all out without your help.

Green Bay
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging along N17

Yes we are flying out of Shannon but from Killarney it's all taken care of by way of a preplanned trip through our work. Although we could tour from the 2 days that we'll have at Dromolond, we thought it would feel good to get rid of the car by then. Maybe we could go to Kinsale and Cobh after a night in Killarney, would that be a long drive?

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging along N17

Hello NanaOB

I would suggest that you stay in Westport itself. Visit Ballintubber Abbey en route from Doolin and cut across to Westport from there and have your trip to Clare Island. Instead of the N17 from Galway, take the N84 through Headford and Ballinrobe to Ballintubber - which is less than 30 minutes to Westport.

Having lived in the area, I would neither consider staying in Tuam or Claremorris as neither would have much to endear themselves to anyone.

Unless Knock is a MUST, I wouldnt put myself under undue pressure to visit there either - a village full of tacky shops with cheap religious tat. Its religious significance fades into insignificance - you will have a more solemn, spiritual experience at Ballintubber.

Would you say hello to Bob for me - our paths crossed on the Bordeaux forum in 2009!

Edited: 20 May 2011, 21:47
Green Bay
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging along N17

How very interesting! Exactly why we LOVE this site. We're the envy of co workers who travel with us since we have the best places to stay when we extend our trips. We also remember you, LittlePumpkin. Bordeaux was such a great trip, how cute that you remember crossing paths. Back to this trip, i actually wanted to stay in Westport from what I read but was nervous about the long drive. We should concentrate on the day at hand and enjoy the moment which I'm sure would be easier in Westport as opposed to Tuam.

Bob says hello!

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging along N17

Nana

AARoadwatch indicates that it is 2 hours 2 minutes from Doolin to Claremorris on the N17 ; it indicates it is 2 hours 21 minutes to Ballintubber on the N84. Although these times are approximate - you will hit your destination in less than 3 hours (barring any disasters!).

I'd suggest that you leave Doolin early and detour on the R334 from Headford for a quick 30 minutes into the village of Cong to visit Ashford Castle and stretch your legs. You can link back up to the N84 in Ballinrobe. If you fancy a lunch at that stage, have a bite to eat in JJGannons in Ballinrobe www.jjgannons.com 10/15 minutes will have you at Ballintubber from Ballinrobe.

You will hit Westport by mid-afternoon to savour and enjoy (and relax) in the lovely atmosphere.

Green Bay
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging along N17

So, we've decided to not visit Knock or Clare Island and only stay in Westport for one night, but now I'm nervous about staying somewhere else 5 nights in a row as it sounds exhausting to pack and unpack that much. It seems that people tend to do that though as there is so much to see. With staying at 2 places with our business trip that would mean 6 different rooms in 10 days, is that too much?? We could do without the Rock of Cashel but getting from Westport to Cobh/Kinsale should be broken up somehow. I was thinking Limerick? We're going to see the Ring of Kerry while staying in Killarnery for a few nights and then they will bus us to Dromoland where we may just want to finally stay put. Thanks again.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,890 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging along N17

It is more than a little difficult (and, almost an inefficient use of your time) when you try to go from the Shannon Airport (mid west) up to Westport, (for argument sake, in the northwest); back down south of where you started out originally (to Cobh via Cashel) and then round the houses to Killarney, before ending up back at Shannon Airport. (Versus, doing a circular trip; or, at least, not doing so much backtracking).

Even at this stage, would you consider confining (in a good way) yourself to counties Clare, Limerick, Tipperary, Cork and Kerry? You could visit Inish Oirr from Doolin and/or Cape Clear off the coast of Cork - instead of Clare Island - for example.

This might allow you to re-configure where you are going to base yourselves, such that you don't have to move quite so much. What do you think?

Green Bay
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lodging along N17

It does seem lik a lot but Bob is reading Grania and wants to visit the Grace OMalley exhibit near Louisburg so we thought from Doolin we could drive by way of Clifden since he also wanted to see Corcomroe Abbey. The next day we'd stop at Ballintubber abbey on the way south so it wouldn't be backtracking. The dilemma is not wanting to drive so long in one day so will need a place between Westport and Cobh. Do you think this is putting too much in a short time and he needs to decide between the Westport and Kinsale/Cobh? Thank you again. So much to think about but it's been fun reading up on all this.

Get answers to your questions about Westport
Recent Conversations