We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For anyone in Tourism Mayo -The Greenway/Newport

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
For anyone in Tourism Mayo -The Greenway/Newport

spent a week with small kids in westport and newport.. and a few observations

- westport is terrific town.. westport house.. people .. restaurants all excellent for families.

- the Greenway is great but i cannot understand what on earth they were thinking opening it when par t of it leads onto treacherous winding primary roads?.. an absolute death trap with small kids.. hopefully tragedy wont make them realise to keep it all off-road.

- Newport residents and businesses need to improve dramatically their service levels and receptiveness towards the thousands of toursists the greenway is bringing.. it is a golden opportunity for the summer months but lots of things left us perplexed..

- most families are up at the crack of dawn to do the cycle or get out and about yet.. cannot get a coffee before 10am in the town

- when we sat down a t kellys tea house to buy coffees and sit outside with bikes.. a very rude lady asked us to leave when we had our own sandwiches with us (kids are fussy eaters).. we moved 2 yards to the steps beside it.. she viewed cyclists as an annoyance..

- toilets in a lot the pubs are filthy. foreign friends of ours refused to go into any of the pubs after that so we drank at home. Jesus.. I mean the irish pub is supposed to be one of our strong points right??

- the bike rental business at the bottom of the town is a goldmine yet the young guys in there will barely say hello or thanks.. they got our booking wrong (use scraps of paper to record).. left us waiting soaked in mulranny for 2 hours (versus 20 mins promised).. and then rang us to say we never returned our bikes..there is no system .. only confusion. the pity is that someone in Dublin or galway city will come down and blow a local business like this out of the water. my views are not biased. spoke to germans and english out in mulranny who had the same experience.. it could be so much better. Also, the bike guys should advise you not to cycle the "uphill" journey out to mulranny.. come the other way if you have small children trying to pedal their own bikes.. you are likely into the wind out to mulranny also..

- that pub Nevins off the greenway is a lovely place but overplays how accessible they are with their signs.. especially when u have kids on their bikes.. felt over 2k to get there.. bad hills.. the signs are incorrect in terms of distance and u have to go onto the very busy road.. so be wary.

anyway.. our 3rd year down there and westport is the location to stay in.. Newport actually seems to have deteriorated as a town rather than embrace and improve. We will always go back but Mayo tourist authorities need to be aware that some of the foreigners we met will not be back.

Westport, Ireland
Level Contributor
259 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For anyone in Tourism Mayo -The Greenway/Newport

there was a recent article in the Mayo News about the same thing...

www.mayonews.ie/index.php…

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For anyone in Tourism Mayo -The Greenway/Newport

Hi, You may want to send an e-mail to the Mayo Co. Council, who maintains the Greenway. As far as I know, the county does not have a "tourism" agency.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For anyone in Tourism Mayo -The Greenway/Newport

As someone living in an area of rural Ireland that gets lots of it's tourists from the walking, riding and cycling folk I am firmly in favour of councils providing dedicated lanes along main roads. I would also ask that people using this form of "green" tourism respect the highway code and other road users, The first picture in the article shows cyclists on both sides of the road heading in the same direction where they should all be on the left and hopefully single file.

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For anyone in Tourism Mayo -The Greenway/Newport

I didnt mean to become too critical.. I grew up in rural Ireland and know the score.. it is a terrific amenity and I was shocked at how much busier it was this year .. you have no idea how frightening it is when you leave the track in windy/wet conditions with poor visibility and emerge onto main road your 2 kids are trailing behind you.. same when you exit the greenway for Nevins.. kids are used to the greenway and might wobble/weave onto main road trying to get up the hill.. an odd reminder sign or flashing light is badly needed.. even in the newport mulranny stretch you are on public roads without realising it out near burrishoole bridge... we got blown at by a car coming behind us.. kids got an awful shock.. no sign indicated the transition from cycleway to road.. can you imagine the negative publicity if a child or foreign tourist got badly hurt? would kill an emergin tourism gem...

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For anyone in Tourism Mayo -The Greenway/Newport

No harm in being critical I can assure you as a motorist that it is no fun rounding a bend to find a family with young children taking up 8ft of the 12ft road in front of you. With knowledge of rural Ireland I would expect that your children were in single file and either between or in front of the adults. Sending your thoughts to the road safety officer at Mayo Council might be the first step as I am fairly sure they don't read this forum.

http://www.roadsafetymayo.ie/

http://www.mayococo.ie/en/Services/Safety/

Edited: 15 August 2011, 16:10
County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
780 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For anyone in Tourism Mayo -The Greenway/Newport

We just got back from this ride and it was fabulous. The stretch of road is about a km long and was scary. We crossed the road and walked as our 6 yr old is a bit wobbly. We were told about this from the bike people who dropped us to Achill. We used Clew Bay and I thought they were brilliant. He told us Nevins was great but a bit of effort to get there. When we got to Mulranny the small kids were tired so they changed to tag a long bikes (easier for them but harder for us...) we dropped the bikes off in Newport where we had a few pints and took a taxi back to Westport. A local said that in October they are widening the road and adding a bike path so hopefully that will take care of the problem. Unfortunately on the Newport to Westport leg there are a few places that you have to cross the road so might just skip that leg with small kids. We all loved this day though. It's amazing that such a basic idea can turn into such a great attraction. Would LOVE to see this in west cork, Schull to Mizen Head would be amazing...

Edited: 14 September 2012, 15:57
Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
387 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For anyone in Tourism Mayo -The Greenway/Newport

The road widening on the 2km stretch into Newport (on the Westport side) looks very well advanced and this section should be no problem for all categories of cyclists, come 2013. It would have been great to have been able to approach Newport over the railway viaduct though.......

8. Re: For anyone in Tourism Mayo -The Greenway/Newport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Westport