We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenway travel and bike rental questions

Boston
Level Contributor
45 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Greenway travel and bike rental questions

As my trip gets closer, I am now planning the specific details and am looking for recommendations for biking the Greenway. The 42km full length is too long for me. What part of the Greenway would you say is can't-miss and the most scenic? Westport-Newport? Newport-Mulranny? Mulranny-Achill? Maybe Mulranny-Achill-Mulranny? Also, how difficult is the terrain in each section? Another question: has anyone heard anything about electric bike rental so I could increase the distance I could cover and maybe do the whole Greenway? I see that one Westport rental place offers one. I have researched the bike rental places with websites and think I have a pretty good understanding of them, but I would love any insider insight you could share, especially for the ones that are not online!!! Thanks so much!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greenway travel and bike rental questions

Can't really help, never done any by bike. the Greenway has a Facebook page which might be worth directing your question towards.. https:/…118718021509032 You might also get something from this Boards forum (bit old) or ask a new question on there www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php…

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
780 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greenway travel and bike rental questions

It's a great day out! We rented from Clew Bay bike rentals. We drove to Newport where they collected us and dropped us off at Achilles. The ride back was gorgeous! There were 2 adults and 3 kids aged 6,8 and 9. The 2 youngest were a little tired at Mulranny. They have a stand there where they traded bikes for the tag a long type. Great service!

I thought the Newport to Achilles was the most scenic. It was fairly flat most of the way. We brought lots of snacks and took lots of breaks. My husband hadn't been on a bike in 45 years or so and he was able to do it without a problem.

I think they rent electric bikes there too. Have a great trip!

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,101 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Greenway travel and bike rental questions

See if you can glean anything of relevance from this article:

independent.ie/lifestyle/travel/inside-irela…

ireland
Level Contributor
243 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greenway travel and bike rental questions

I did it a couple of weeks ago from Achill to Westport. My advice would be to do at least Achill to Newport. It's easier do it from Achill and the scenery is amazing. Take it as easy and as slow as you want.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greenway travel and bike rental questions

For uasal !

Hi BBB.

I also went with Clew Bay Bike Hire and they were excellent. (My review below).

There are a number of ways to do the route as has already been mentioned above. We did Mulranny To Achill route and back to Westport and while this took 7 hours, you can shorten this considerably by finishing your ride at Achill and taking the shuttle from there back to Westport. Clew Bay Bike Hire will look after all of that for you. They are very accommodating. I estimate the cycle from Mulranny to Achill would take in the region of 2 to 3 hours one way, depending on conditions. It's only 15 miles from Mulranny to centre of Achill , and you will cover that distance easily on the bike. Also factor in the travel time on the mini bus from Westport to Mulranny (about 40 minutes) and from Achill back to Westport by mini bus could take an hour.

As for Electric Bike hire. This is a great idea and Clew Bay Bike Hire do rent those too, but I imagine the cost would be a good bit more. However you don't need an electric bike on the Greenway, as it is 'mostly' flat (note the quotes around the word mostly !)

We loved our day out on the 'Greenway' and it is a really lovely way to see beautiful Mayo in all her glory.

tripadvisor.ie/ShowUserReviews-g186627-d2275…

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Greenway travel and bike rental questions

Should you opt for the Newport to Mulranny part of the route, be sure to stop at Yvonne's Cottage.

I had a little teary eyed moment reading this article yesterday. Roisin often does that to me. I love her!

irishtimes.com/life-and-style/r%C3%B3is%C3%A…

https://www.facebook.com/kevin.moran.37454961

mulranny.ie/uncategorized/…

Edited: 28 July 2013, 10:13
Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
387 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greenway travel and bike rental questions

L P, thank you for sharing the links re Yvonne's Cottage.

It wasn't open when we did the cycle last August but we're back for more this year and it will be a definite stopping off point.

In terms of information for the original poster, the terrain need hold no fears for even the most lapsed (rustiest?) cyclist as the gradient never varies much above a gentle slope. The electric bike idea is a good one however if you decide to tackle the complete Westport - Achill trip. Our ambitions for the day amount to doing the Newport - Achill leg in a day - but then we have three mutinous teenagers to deal with........

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greenway travel and bike rental questions

My wife and I cycled the Greenway about 18 months ago, from Achill Sound back to Westport. We are your typical average unfit late middle aged persons!!!! We hired the electric bikes from Clew Bay Bike Hire in Westport, which made the cycling so much easier particularly when you encountered any inclines - and there were no serious inclines that I can recall. For €5 per person, they brought us and the bikes from Westport to Achill Sound, and we had the option of calling them at any time to pick us up, if we were finding ourselves unable to continue with the cycling. During our cycle, my wife's bike malfunctioned, we phoned them and within 20 minutes they were with us, with a replacement bike. We started off from Achill Sound at 11.00AM and arrived back in Westport about 4.30PM, having stopped here, there and everywhere along the way to take in the views, photos, etc, including a 45 minute stop in Mullaney for some refreshments.

The Bike hire company recommended that we start from Achill Sound, as any winds are generally behind your back and the cycle track tends to be more downhill in that direction - and that information proved correct. You can do as much or as little of the track as you please. We had intended to be picked up about halfway, but we were enjoying it so much - and the electric bikes really helped to make the cycling easier, as we hadn't done any cycling in about 10 years - that we decided to cycle the whole way. As regards the electric bikes, you still have to pedal all the time, but the engine kicks in while you are pedaling, but there is less strain on your legs - it's a doddle! If you only want to do portion of the track, then I suggest that you try Achill Sound to Newport, as that was the most scenic.

9. Re: Greenway travel and bike rental questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Westport