We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good spot for a picnic

Which Westport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Loughrea, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
good spot for a picnic

We are staying in Westport for a few days, and I was thinking about a picnic somewhere one of the days. Any suggestions in the surrounding areas, say under 1hr of a drive? Croagh Patrick isn't something we plan to do this trip, so alternatives with a nice view or that are quiet would be good! cheers

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good spot for a picnic

Beside Croagh Patrick you have the Famine memorial, which, while it may not be the most appropriate historically, has seating. Bertra beach is a mile up the road. Silver Strand is outside Louisburgh. In Castlebar, the former council has done great work around Lough Lannagh, while the Mall is the historic centre of the town. Pontoon is about 9 miles from Castlebar and has nice places along the shore.Mulranny is also within your radius.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: good spot for a picnic

The museum of country life just outside castlebar has free entry and is a lovely place to have a picnic. There was a time when you could walk around the grounds of Westport house without paying but I don't know if that still happens.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,091 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good spot for a picnic

Greetings! N59 to Newport, before crossing the bridge over the Black Oak River, is a beautiful serene Greenway, w/picnic tables. Stunning views, swans swimming in river. Great photo ops.

Come & Enjoy!

Edited: 14 July 2014, 22:51
Westport, Ireland
Level Contributor
258 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good spot for a picnic

I second the idea of the museum of country life. Old head beach is good . Bertra beach unfortunatly is missing the carpark after the storms!

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good spot for a picnic

Sorry to hear that about Bertra. I haven't had a chance to visit this year but I've seen similar damage to some beaches here in Kerry. Banna escaped lightly compared to poor old Bertra, it's been packed during the good weather lately. So is Bertra busy now, can you park on the road on the way down?

Westport, Ireland
Level Contributor
258 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good spot for a picnic

Bertra can be accessed from the road, but the old entrance is gone as well as car park. It is really a sad sight. Still lots of people walking the beach though :)

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: good spot for a picnic

That's a shame about Bertra, are there any repair plans in the pipeline?

Westport, Ireland
Level Contributor
258 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: good spot for a picnic

They just completed the repair..just in time for Reek Sunday!

Loughrea, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: good spot for a picnic

thanks for suggestions here, we ended up going to Keem strand in Achill, was a good choice for picnics, lots of others doing the same

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,091 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: good spot for a picnic

Greetings! Were the sheep running on the roadway?

Get answers to your questions about Westport