We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tara & Loughcrew

dublin
14 posts
Save Topic
Tara & Loughcrew

HI

I am spending a couple of days in Meath, basing myself in Trim, and was wondering what is worth visiting. I have already seen Newgrange and Knowth and was particularly interested in seeing in getting a guided tour of the Hill of Tara and Loughcrew. However, I was disappointed to hear that both don't offer guided tours at this time of year (according to heritageireland.ie). Are they worth visiting anyway of would I be better leaving them to another day when I can get a tour? I just picture myself and my girlfriend getting lost and missing out...

Also, anything else worth seeing in Meath? There is always Trim Castle and the Balloon festival in Trim.

Thanks!

paul

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,099 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tara & Loughcrew

Paul,

You reminded me that there is a Slideshow courtesy of The Irish Times from earlier this month on The Spring Equinox at Loughcrew:

irishtimes.com/indepth/…

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tara & Loughcrew

Hi, You should visit Loughcrew - you can climb Carnane East hill, and see the wonderful tomb on its summit......there's a locked gate at the entrance of the tomb, you can borrow the key from the Loughcrew Gardens restaurant, down the road (they hold the key in the off-season).

Inside the tomb are beautiful Neolithic carvings on the stones. Even if you don't get the key, you can see (and touch) some of the carvings through the gate.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,855 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tara & Loughcrew

You could also visit Bective Abbey not far from Trim, a lovely secluded spot. Have a look at lookaroundireland.com/meath/bectiveabbey.php and meath.ie/Tourism/…

Do visit Loughcrew. There's a good path up to the cairns and as mentioned you can get the key.

And Tara is well signposted and if you have a good map you won't get lost.

You could also visit Four Knocks, a much lesser known passage tomb than Newgrange or Loughcrew but very nice nonetheless (www.discoverireland.com/us/ireland-things-to-see-and-do/listings/product/?fid=FI_50277 and www.mythicalireland.com/ancientsites/fourknocks/index.html).

There's also the Hill of Slane with great views over Slane and the Boyne valley.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tara & Loughcrew

Hi Paul

I'm presuming you are visiting Trim over the Easter weekend considering you mentioned the Balloon Festival. Weather permitting (and its not looking great from where I am this morning!) it should be good fun.

Some nice suggestions there - here's another few.

Fancy a spot of horseracing? Fairyhouse has the Easter race meet from 4th to 6th www.fairyhouseracecourse.ie I like Fairyhouse, there is always a good fun atmosphere

If you consider Loughcrew, you could make a complete day of visiting that area. Stop off enroute at Lloyd Spire in Kells which is accessed from the Oldcastle road from Kells. The first Earl of Bective (which you could visit the ruined castle just a short drive from Trim) erected the only inland lighthouse in Ireland in memory of his late father. Although you wont be able to enter the tower, the views are spectacular. On then to Loughcrew and then go visit one of Irelands hidden treasures - Fore which straddles the border with Co Westmeath. http://www.megalithicireland.com/Fore.htm

Its unfortunate that you are not a month later with your visit. If so, you could visit Slane and take a tour of the infamous Slane Castle www.slanecastle.ie/slane-castle-tours.aspx Unfortunately the tour doesnt recommence until Mid May. Its a wonderful tour with something for everyone and if you are a U2 fan, you visit the rooms where they recorded their Unforgettable Fire album and theres lots of pictures/stories from all the concerts over the years, along with a very informative history of both the family and the castle. Well worth the admission fee and the opportunity to experience a real working real-life castle. If you were lucky, you might even get a drop of their Slane Castle Whiskey.

Not for this time though, but you could brush the cobwebs off by visiting Hill of Slane, the lovely intimate Ledwidge Cottage, the house that the villages famous son and poet was born in. Even if you are not interested in poetry, this is a lovely (yet another) intimate tour and hearing of his tragic love story will pull at the heartstrings http://www.francisledwidge.com/

Theres also a lovely walk along the River Boyne which can be accessed just by the river on the Bridge (the Boyne Ramparts Heritage Walk). Actually there are a number of walks in the county including - The Kells Girley Bog Eco Walk, Littlewood Forest Walk and Townley Hall both outside Slane meath.ie/Tourism/… Have a look at meath.ie/Tourism/SportsandActivities/Walking/

With regards to waiting for later in the year to take the guided tours, personally I would wait to get maximum benefit from the sites. As the old advertisement stated "Navan - only an hour from Dublin" - no longer the case with the upgraded routes. As you appear to be based in Dublin from your profile - you have the added advantage to return when the summer season commences (and the weather improves) :-)

Also in within a short distance is the Battle of the Boyne Visitor Centre heritageireland.ie/en/…

Old Mellifont Abbey

heritageireland.ie/en/…

Millmount Abbey http://www.millmount.net/#

Again its unfortunate that your visit is not a little later and you could visit Beaulieu House and Car Museum just outside Drogheda http://www.beaulieu.ie/index.html Again, it doesnt open until May

Of course your girlfriend might like a morning and/or afternoon in Navan. Lots of the high street shops along with lots of local bespoke shops to put a dent in your wallet!

I mentioned recently the thread to the High Crosses at Monasterboice, this could be an ideal opportunity for you to see them in their original home and state tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186623-i3091-k3486… You could incorporate a visit to Monasterboice with Mellifont Abbey & Slane

I know I have deviated from Co Meath and into Co Westmeath/Co Louth - another option would be to drive up to Carlingford and the Cooley Peninsula www.carlingford.ie

Edited: 31 March 2010, 07:50
dublin
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tara & Loughcrew

Wow some great suggestions there!

If the weather is not too inclement I think I will go to Fairyhouse.

I didn't know half of these existed! Maybe Meath could market itself a little better.

I can't wait to get going now! Thanks everyone for your great help.

paul

6. Re: Tara & Loughcrew

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2010, 06:20