We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaweed bath question

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Seaweed bath question

looking forward to a seaweed bath in Strandhill...will be there with niece one week and husband week after.

Do you do these nekkid, or in a b-suit or what??

Is it communal, or are baths in separate rooms?

I have no clue

Thanks!!

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seaweed bath question

its up to you whether you want to wear swimsuit or not - they can either be communal or single. Most of the time you are just in and out between the bath and cold showers

Greystones, Ireland
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seaweed bath question

I think they only have one or two double rooms and the rest are all single and completely private, I leave my speedo's at home!

I would suggest also having surfing lesson there first, there is a guy called Tom who runs Perfect day surfing school (he used to coach the irish surf team, so he knows his biscuits) and there is nothing better than having a surf and then straight into the hot seaweed bath. I bet your niece would love it.

Or you can climb Knocknaree mountain just behind strandhill, it takes an hour up and down if you take it easy and enjoy the view. Then you will feel you have earnt your seaweed bath.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,218 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seaweed bath question

I've done the baths at Strandhill a number of times and wasn't even aware they had any communal rooms. I've always been given my own room, so even the "running between the bath and the cold shower" is still done in private behind a closed door.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seaweed bath question

Is this seaweed the famed carageen that just been discovered over here and costs a small fortune?

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Seaweed bath question

Thank you all for the info.

Surfing,,,hmmm, not for this old bod, maybe my niece. Her kids would think it pretty cool.

Climbing Knockaree will be another day. Overnight transatlantic flight, early day running around Dublin, late day train to Sligo seems enough to warrant a relaxing soak!

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seaweed bath question

ya should have elaborated - the showers are in the same room as the actual bath - you dont have to run out to the corridor or anything like that, but there is accommodation for more than one in a room.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seaweed bath question

Aah - my favourite Irish past-time. I am sooo waiting for them to start up direct flights from Leeds-Bradford to Sligo so that I can take in a seaweed bath in a day trip.

Anyway, to your question. No need for swimwear. You have your own private bathroom with the sound of gently lapping waves being piped in (the first time I went I thought I really could hear the sea!). You have a shower / steam room booth within the room, so you can shower first and then open your pores with a good steam. Then you have up to 50 minutes to enjoy the soak. You can add more hot or cold to your bath as required. A tip - don't rinse the bath water out of your hair - the seaweed water makes the best conditioner and your hair will feel incredibly thick for days afterwards.

Enjoy - I was there last week and want to go back already!

8. Re: Seaweed bath question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 14:30
Get answers to your questions about County Sligo