We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help. top ten things to do in sligo/

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Help. top ten things to do in sligo/

We have booked a 5 day trip to Sligo end of February staying at Clarion Hotel.This is my first trip,although my husband has been there before. Can other people advise us the top ten things they would advise us to do. We are hiring a car. We are in our late 50's and tee total

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help. top ten things to do in sligo/

ps. we like gentle walking, and history.Does anyone know where I can get some guidebooks on the area? Should I buy one when I arrive?

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help. top ten things to do in sligo/

I don't know about the other nine, but my top one would be to go out to Strandhill for the day and do the seaweed baths.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help. top ten things to do in sligo/

Actually, I have got another one - if you like gentle walking, climb Knocknarea on a clear day - spectacular views.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help. top ten things to do in sligo/

hallo!

I spent a few days in Sligo several years ago and really enjoyed the following:

Carrowmore megalithic Cemetery (just a short drive from Sligo town); there's a small visitor centre there, and you get fantastic views of Knocknarea.

www.stonepages.com/ireland/carrowmore.html

Drumcliff and Glencar Lake

Take the N15 north out of Sligo Town to Drumcliff, where you can see W B Yeats' final resting place in the small churchyard on the right, then continue on the N15 and turn right to Glencar Lake (I think it's sign posted from the N15). Really pretty area with a walk up to a waterfall. There are some nice little "yellow" roads in the area where you get some stunning views of Benbulbin - really breathtaking!

I really wanted to visit Lissadell House, but unfortunately it wasn't open at the time. It also, is off the N15 (farther north from Drumcliff). Looks like they have done alot of restoration since I last looked into it:

http://www.lissadellhouse.com

The house should be open in February from 10am-6pm, but it might be worth contacting them just to check that this is correct.

Lastly, if you want a gentle walk, then drive out to Rosses Point (again, just north of Sligo Town), where you can go for a bracing walk on the beach :-)

Hope you enjoy your time in co. Sligo.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help. top ten things to do in sligo/

Dear all, thanks very much. I didn't expect replies so fast. It's given me lots to think about.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,484 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help. top ten things to do in sligo/

Sligo is quite a nice town for shopping and arcades and there are some lovely cafe/restaurants too, one which I can't remember the name of is over a drapers shop and is a real gem like Lyons cafes in the old days. After walking around Sligo there are some nice villages like Drumcliffe with its little church. Lissadell House and gardens is a must see and worth spending half a day: ~ www.lissadellhouse.com

Several nice churches nearby including the WB Yeats burial site. A boat trip on Lough Gill from Parkes Castle aboard the Rose of Innisfree: ~ www.roseofinnisfree.com

Sligo is not far from Inniskillen which is a historic market town just over the border, with a castle and military museum and don't forget the Marble Arch Caves at Florencecourt which is one of Europes best cave systems a UNESCO recognised geopark. Florencecourt House and gardens are nearby also Blacklion with its famous McNean restaurant run by celeb chef Neven Maguire. Boyle is another historic town near to Sligo and there is the remains of an old abbey also a museum at King House which displays memorabillia connected with the famous Connaught Rangers "Devils Own" regiment.

North of Sligo town towards Donegal town there is the famous seaside town of Bundoran and the little harbour of Mullaghmore well worth visiting. If you fancy going further north to Donegal town and Killybegs there is some fantastic views over the sea at Slieve League.

Plenty for you to see and hope that you enjoy your stay, check-out Breifne Tourism at: ~ www.breifne.ie

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help. top ten things to do in sligo/

Most of the suggestions are good. May I suggest that after your arrival you visit the National Tourism Office--just a few blocks from city centre. They can provide you (or sell you) all kinds of brochures on Sligo. There is one that suggests a number of driving tours and describes what you will see on the routes.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help. top ten things to do in sligo/

If you like walks ... there are enough beaches to keep you busy for a full week ... Strandhill, Rosses Point, Streedagh, Mullaghmore, Knocklane ...

Somebody already mentioned walking up Knocknarea - definitely agree with that ... there are plenty of other hills/mountains such as Benbulben ...

9. Re: Help. top ten things to do in sligo/

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 06:20