We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glass House In Sligo

Which Sligo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
239 reviews
Save Topic
Glass House In Sligo

We are staying in the Glass House in Sligo for one night. This is mostly to break up our drive from Derry to Galway. Any comments on the hotel? Suggestions of what to see in the area? Places to eat? We will obviously do our own digging through the guide books but there is nothing like recommendations from people who have been there, or even better who live there. Look forward to hearing from you.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,419 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glass House In Sligo

Spriglet, I assume you're going via Ballybofey and Donegal town? Just before you get to Donegal town there is Lough Eske (off the N15) and you can drive right around the lake. Harvey's Point on Lough Eske is a very good hotel in a lovely location so you might consider lunch there.

If you go into Donegal town and take the R267 (rather than by-passing the town on the N15) there is a craft village with some nice shops.

You should also stop at Drumcliff not far from Sligo and visit W.B. Yeats's grave there. If you're still peckish, the Yeats Tavern across the road does very decent food.

Sorry, this is more about your drive from Derry to Sligo than Sligo itself but I hope it might be of help to you.

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glass House In Sligo

A word of warning about The Glass House--- If you stay there do not throw stones.

I apologize but the expression about people who live in glass houses should not throw stones came to mind.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glass House In Sligo

Clauds - Thanks for the suggestions. The drive from Derry to Sligo is an important part. It is good to know what to see.

PatrickH - We will be careful not to throw stones anywhere in Ireland but especially not in The Glasshouse.

Thanks..

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glass House In Sligo

Spriglet - hallo there :-)

I visited Sligo a few years ago now . . .

Of course the most stunning feature in the area is Benbulbin - and it really is quite breathtaking! If you drive north towards Drumcliff to visit Yeats' grave, turn right to Glencar Lake (I seem to remember it is sign-posted either at Drumcliff, or just beyond). You get super views of Benbulbin, and the drive around Glencar is really pretty.

Just outside Sligo is Knocknaree and Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetery - again lovely scenery, and the cemetery is quite interesting to wander around. (A few photos and a review on my profile). The cairn on top of Knocknaree is known as Queen Medbh's tomb; you can walk to the top, but sadly it was too wet 'n windy the day I was there:

www.stonepages.com/ireland/carrowmore.html

If you fancy a walk by the sea, then head for Rosses Point on the R291 out of Sligo.

And lastly, Lissadell House is supposed to be worth visiting. Sadly it was closed when I was there.

http://www.lissadellhouse.com

Hope you find the above useful!

:-)

Ontario
Level Contributor
449 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glass House In Sligo

Spriglet, we stayed at the Glass House in Sligo for two nights in January--and I think I posted a review on TA. It's very centrally and scenically located right on the river. The building is a spectacular work of architecture and decorated in a well-adapted trendy modern fashion. Rooms are intelligently laid-out with great views, and parking is convenient (tho' a bit tricky to find the entrance off various one-way streets). Staff and service were average, and the Irish breakfast mediocre as compared with other places we stayed. I'd say the ambience more than compensates for any deficiencies.

Bill

Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glass House In Sligo

If you stop at Yeats Grave there are very nice tea rooms, lovely place for lunch with home baking. Yeats Tavern is good but food not as fresh nor as homely as the tea rooms. Crafts also for sale

Ontario
Level Contributor
449 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glass House In Sligo

Spriglet and Patrickh:

Yes, the saying used to be: "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." Revise it to: People who live in glass houses shouldn't. Period.

8. Re: Glass House In Sligo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 15:19