We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Sligo without a car

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
306 posts
219 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in Sligo without a car

Hi,

Most of the suggestions for things to do seem to require a car. If I stay in Sligo town, can Iget to the sites by bus, or is there day tours? I am thinking of spending 2 or 3 days in the area. I like history, light walks, beautiful scenery, people and culture in general.

Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
115 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in Sligo without a car

Sligo town itself is quite compact & easy to see all the sites by foot and if you are here during the summer there are free daily walking tours of the town.There are many beautiful walks within a 2 to 3 mile radius of the town centre including riverside walks by the Garavogue river towards Lough Gill & the Holy Well.

There are buses through our national bus service www.buseireann.ie which will bring you to outlying areas such as Rosses Point ,Strandhill , Carrawmore Enniscrone ,Mullaghmore /Bundoran but you do have to plan ahead for these routes as they are limited in their frequency.

You could browse the www.discoversligo.com site for ideas or contact them directly to see if they have any tours available during your travel dates or they may be able to recommend a taxi/tour guide .

lambton shores
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in Sligo without a car

I just returned from Sligo and was having trouble getting to the places on my ancestral search.Zero Cabs spent two hours consulting with me and were most helpful planning and organizing my plans. I was given a very fair fixed price for three hours and was even provided an extra half hour with no charge.It sure beat the hassle and high insurance price of renting a car.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in Sligo without a car

Co. Sligo is indeed a largely rural area and public transport isn't fantastic but it's not impossible to explore the county without a car as others have suggested and there are a few tour companies that operate in season as Zena1 has highlighted. If you are interested in visiting the many Yeats family related sites in/around Co. Sligo then do have a look at the Top Questions about Sligo and click on the Yeats link there - there is quite a bit of detail for visiting those sites without a car that we posted for the OP who was in a similar situation to yourself a while ago. Zena1's suggestions of walking to nearby sites is great especially as you say you enjoy light walks - even walking out to Rosses Point is within reach and would take you about 30-45 minutes if you walk at a good pace. The taxi/hackney idea is also a good one - google 'taxi sligo' for more choices...

If you want to be more specific about what/where you want to see then maybe between us we can suggest the best solution - getting to the megalithic tombs at Carrowmore, for example, can be done by bus (just) but getting to those at Carrowkeel would be best served by a taxi booked for a few hours. The lakeside Parkes Castle, just over the border in Co. Leitrim is worth a visit (we're pretty sure that there is a bus that stops nearby) and there are some wonderful forestry walks around other parts of Lough Gill - Dooney Rock, Hazelwood, Slish Wood - that might interest you too...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
306 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in Sligo without a car

Thanks. These are good suggestions. I will be there at the beginning of September (5 - 7) and it seems that some tours and schedules stop on Aug 31. I'm thinking that maybe I will stay an extra night in Derry and do a Donegal tour from there, then take a day to get to Sligo stopping in Enniskillen for a few hours. I'm not sure yet what I want to see in the Sligo area so your suggestions are helpful.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
306 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in Sligo without a car

Hi,

I am here at Sligo enjoying a fantastic view of the river from the Glasshouse and planning what to do tomorrow. I'm thinking of taking a bus to Strandhill, having a seaweed bath and lunch, then walking back and visiting Maeve's tomb and Carrowmore on the way back. Is that doable? I don't mind walking for 5 hours. Is there a coffee shop on the way anywhere for a little break? Please advise. Thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
306 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days in Sligo without a car

Hi,

Another idea would be to take a bus to Carrowmore, walk around there and then to Maeve's tomb if I still can, then lunch and bath/massage and take a bus or taxi back. Basically, what is the order of the sites and how long does it take to walk between them. Thanks

Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
115 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days in Sligo without a car

The bus route that you require is the number 478A , it is a local town service but travels out to Carramore 3 times daily with arrival times in Carramore at 9.55 /11.25 & 1500.

I believe the bus departs from John Street which is located at the southern end of Sligos main street ( O Connell st ).

The first bus leaves john St at 9.30.

If you need any direct information the Sligo bus enquiries no is

071-9160066.

The above details I posted for a similar question recently ,I think the best option would be Carrowmore first then approx 2 hrs for a relaxed walk to & climb of Knocknarea and the same time for the decent and walk to Strandhill .You may be lucky to meet a group at Carrowmore who have planned a similar route and can give you a lift.Im afraid the weather has turned to rain after some beautiful days so bring some wet gear ,leave the seaweed bath till last & get a taxi back to your hotel.Enjoy your time in Sligo

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days in Sligo without a car

Agree with Zena - Carrowmore and Knocknarea first, lunch in Strandhill and then seaweed bath last to relax and work it all off...

(a bit late as you're probably on your way - hope you have a fun day!)

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,839 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 days in Sligo without a car

Hi whirledgirl

Hope you made it up to the top of Knocknarea - but if you didn't and for others that might be interested I came accross this Youtube footage which gives a flavour of the views that can be enjoyed from the cairn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l21GLJjJPm8

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
306 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 days in Sligo without a car

I let the rain and my wonderful room at the Glass House change my plan to a relaxing day walking about town a bit, then a lovely seaweed bath and massage, then a delicious pizza at Bistro Biaconi. Maybe next time! Thanks again.