We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see and do in Waterford

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
What to see and do in Waterford

I will be accompanying my daughter on a business trip in mid November. We arrive in Dublin and will stay there for two nights.

What is the best way to get to Waterford from Dublin?

What should I see during the week she is working in Waterford? I will be by myself. Are there day tours I should consider?

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Waterford
Waterford
County Waterford, Ireland
8 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
36 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see and do in Waterford

I'm sure there's more location specific experts that can add to this but Waterford is very easily reachable by train and bus from dublin - train I expect is quicker but Ive taken both and were both good. For a week in Waterford, renting a car for at least part of it may give you some extra flexibility to see more of the beautiful countryside and coast - but not necessarily essential. Off the top of my head, Waterford city itself is definitely worth some of your time, being the very old and interesting place it is. A personal favourite would be the village of Dunmore East, a short local bus ride away from Waterford with a very cute village, excellent eating place (try the Strand pub which has a restaurant overlooking the sea with exceptional seafood) and beautiful walks along the coast with stunning views. If you're in Waterford for a week, would also suggest a day trip to Kilkenny (which you can easily do on the train as not far though back in the Dublin direction) - beautiful old city with lots to see. Hope that gives you a decent start.

Mentioned in this post
Waterford
Waterford
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,340 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see and do in Waterford

Another vote for Dunmore East www.discoverdunmore.com

In Waterford itself, you can see The Viking Triangle (a group of Viking related sites) and also Reginald's Tower.

You can take a bus trip to Kilkenny using bus eireann www.kilkenny.ie

I am on my phone currently but will give you more links later.

Edited: 23 September 2017, 10:19
Mentioned in this post
Waterford
Waterford
The Viking Triangle
The Viking Triangle
261 Reviews
Waterford, Ireland
Reginald's Tower
Reginald's Tower
543 Reviews
Waterford, Ireland
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,340 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see and do in Waterford

https:/…pwaterford-ireland.html

http://waterfordvikingtriangle.com/

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
15,805 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see and do in Waterford

other areas besides Kilkenny, Dunmore East, and Waterford (all 3 are great), Malahide and Howth via public transportation....Trim Castle/Hill of Tara/Newgrange is on offer from Mary Gibbons Tours.....you could take the train to Belfast, etc........ you won't lack for choices....

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Waterford
Waterford
Malahide
Malahide
County Dublin, Ireland
Trim Castle
Trim Castle
1,394 Reviews
Trim, Ireland
Newgrange
Newgrange
580 Reviews
Donore, Ireland
Mary Gibbons Tours
Mary Gibbons Tours
747 Reviews
County Dublin, Ireland
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see and do in Waterford

If I want to take a tour of Blarney Castle, Cork and Cliffs of Moher do I need to do that out of Dublin or are there tours out of Waterford? I know it depends on the weather if the cliffs will be an option.

Mentioned in this post
Blarney
Blarney
County Cork, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Waterford
Waterford
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,340 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see and do in Waterford

The Cliffs of Moher really aren't accessible from Waterford. Even from Dublin it is a long long day and not really worth it. The Cliffs are a weather dependent attraction and they can be difficult to see if it is very wet or misty, uncomfortable if it is windy and closed if it is very windy.

I am not aware of any day tour companies operating out of Waterford. However it MAY be possible to take a bus to Cork from Waterford then take a taxi or a bus to Blarney, then return.

The days are VERY short in mid-November. It will only be getting bright at about 8.15am or so and will be dark by 4.45pm. The weather will most likely be damp and cool and wind events are not unusual.

Mentioned in this post
Waterford
Waterford
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Blarney
Blarney
County Cork, Ireland
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,832 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to see and do in Waterford

I'd take the bus rather than the train, if only because the bus station is a bit more central than the railway station.

A bus trip to Cork is a decent idea to break your stay up a bit. It's a pleasant enough run. You could also look at the practicalities of a trip to New Ross or Wexford, but I think that the Cliffs oif Moher arw too far.

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
County Wexford, Ireland
Ring, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What to see and do in Waterford

I would definitely recommend renting a car once you get to Waterford, even just for a day, you can travel to bigger towns and cities and even rurally with lots of time and planning on buses but with only 2 days the flexibility of the car is an advantage. The most interesting places will be a small bit off the main routes also. Dunmore East, the copper coast to Dungarvan, An Rinn, Ardmore, Lismore etc.

Mentioned in this post
Waterford
Waterford
Dungarvan
Dungarvan
Reply to: What to see and do in Waterford
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted