We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterford Crystal

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Waterford Crystal

Waterford Crystal is to open a production and visitor centre in a building on the Mall (near Reginald's Tower) this year. Visitors will be able to see glass blowing, buy crystal and have crystal authenticated in this new premises which will employ about 100 people including craftsmen from the previous plant.

This will be a temporary arrangement as a state of the art visitor centre is to be built on the quays with production, history, a crystal sales area etc.

This will be a major visitor attraction for Waterford, near to the Museum of Treasures, Reginald's Tower and other historical places of interest.

irishtimes.com/newspaper/…1224258393513.html

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waterford Crystal

That's great news. I'd love to visit when it's open.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waterford Crystal

That's great news for Irish tourism - there's so many questions here on TA that crop up about Waterford crystal isn't there...

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waterford Crystal

We were only talking about it over lunch today Doneraile.There was a sale on in the Visitors Centre over the last few days,I know some people who availed & got good enough discounts !

Waterford needs a boost to get visitors back here,so that good news !

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
230 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waterford Crystal

Now that has cheered me up on another grey day. A great excuse to come over and meet up with my fellow Tyke Doneraile.

Over the years my opera company have picked up many pieces of crystal as prizes at the Waterford International Festival of Light Opera ,including the Internationl Trophy ,a true work of Irish Craftsmanship. The festival has recently been going through difficult times and I hope that this good news will continue for the festival as well.

To keep the memories alive I have been buying up pieces on Ebay in case this really was the end.

Happy to meet

Sad to part

Happy to meet again

Silverstrand

waterford
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waterford Crystal

Mary, the good news is that the sale in the Crystal showrooms goes on until the 4th of Feb next.

Bought some stuff there last Friday.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waterford Crystal

Great news and thanks for sharing. Though I am assuming that the 100 or so employees is a much smaller number, the purpose built facility closer to the town center seems like an improvement from a tourist standpoint.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waterford Crystal

Silverstrand, I hope you make it back to Waterford at some stage, I think you would like what they have done to the Theatre Royal. Not only beautifully restored but the seating has been completely changed! Now there is room for anyone bigger than a 12 year old to sit in comfort and with leg space.

I went to see a very interesting show recently 'Wallace, Balfe and Mr Bunn’, a very local production about two Irish composers and an impresario, I think Theatre Festival people would have enjoyed it, while enjoying criticising it at the same time!

8. Re: Waterford Crystal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2010, 06:24