We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterford Accomodation

Which Waterford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,161 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Waterford Accomodation

I am looking for suggestions for somewhere to stay between Kilkenny and Waterford. 2 rooms, good location, reasonable price. and possible suggestion for evening meal and a decent pub.

Any help appreciated as I know nothing about the town other than the old Crystal factory and a couple of hours wandering around, 7years ago.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waterford Accomodation

Tony, it's a little bit off the direct route from Kilkenny to Waterford, but Inistiogue is a nice little village and may appeal to you. I haven't been in quite a few years but the Woodstock Inn did nice grub at a reasonable price, and it's B&B gets good reviews on TA - some of them quite recent

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g211882-d671615…

http://www.inistioge.ie/

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waterford Accomodation

Carrolls Hotel and pub in Knocktopher is roughly half way, but at 90 euros for a double room would see overpriced for the current situation given that they are in a very small village with only passing trade.

goireland.com/kilkenny/carrolls-hotel-accomm…

The Rising Sun at Mullinavat, a little closer to Waterford, is much better priced at around 70 euros B&B for double.

http://www.therisingsun.ie/

Also Coolmore Farmhouse at Knocktopher, but this would be a little out of the village, so you would have to drive to Knocktopher for the pub.

Both Knocktopher and Mullinavat are accessible from the M9 which now runs between Kilkenny and Waterford, but it is just as easy and a little more interesting to use the old roads.

I take the point about Inistioge, but it is not exactly on the route between Kilkenny and Waterford, although an interesting diversion.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waterford Accomodation

Some good suggestions there Tony fron Irishrover.

Personally with the new road I would stay in Waterford or Kilkenny,unless you specifically have to stay somewhere in between.

If you feel like treating yourself there is always Mount Juliet !

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,161 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waterford Accomodation

Thanks all for the insight.The Rising Sun might come in as first choice with the Woodstock as backup, Just putting the details into a hit and run two day loop taking in Kilkenny, Waterford, Cashel and back home, only about 6 hours behind the wheel but a heck of a lot to wedge in.

Have to keep to a fairly tight budget these days so can't stretch to silly prices and never ventured into stupid prices even in the expense account days.

Ireland
Level Contributor
224 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waterford Accomodation

Rising Sun has B&B, pub grub and a restaurant and is just off the M9. Inistioge is 25 mins from the motorway and if you were going that way I would recommend going through New Ross as Inistioge is not signposted from Mullinavat. The Woodstock Arms doesn’t do grub just a toasted sandwich although there are a couple of restaurants/cafes. I would definately recommend a visit though. You could try Thomastown also.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waterford Accomodation

There are so many hotels and other choices in this area now that there should always be a reasonable option. I think the Rising Sun should be a good choice. I don't know what the rooms are like, but the pub is very popular. The area around is lovely. There are other pubs in Mullinavat, if you want a choice and also a takeaway.

Cork
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waterford Accomodation

Hi there,

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but I have to say that I had some food in the Rising Sun lately and it wasn't very nice.

If you are looking for somewhere inexpensive to stay in Waterford city, the Ramada on the Cork Road is very reasonable and very nice.

http://www.ramadavikinghotel.ie/

The road from Waterford to Kilkenny is so good now, I think staying in either city will offer you better value for money and access to better facilities.

The Ramada is on the Cork road and if you follow this road in towards the city you will come to the newly opened Waterford Crystal Visitor Centre on the right hand side of the road.

http://www.waterfordvisitorcentre.com/

Directly opposite this is the newly opened Museum of Treasurs in the Bishops Palace (up the steps). I havent been there yet but I hear its very good.

waterfordtreasures.com/bishops-palace/visiti…

Enjoy your trip!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,558 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waterford Accomodation

Waterford to Kilkenny is less than an hour,so stay in Waterford or environs. Not a fan of the Rising Sun.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Waterford Accomodation

As everyone says it is a quick jaunt between Kilkenny and Waterford. Have you looked into staying just south of Waterford in Dunmore East or Tramore? I have stayed in good B&Bs in both.

On another note what about Cashel?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,161 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waterford Accomodation

We are headed for Cashel after Waterford and with this being a hit and run type road trip then the hour or even half between Kilkenny and Waterford is valuable time.

The museum of treasures is on my list depending on the time for the Crystal centre which is on pops only reason to go to Ireland list.

The Ramada Group will never get my custom or recommendation ever again after a stunt they pulled in Letterkenny many years ago, "loosing" my confirmed, discounted B&B booking and wanting to charge €100 (room only) when I turned up at 10.30pm too late to find anywhere else. They still charged my card with the €60 and it took a lot of aggravation to get it back with only a poor excuse of an apology.

Get answers to your questions about Waterford