We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Waterford

Which Waterford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Waterford

I will be staying near Waterford (Tramore) for a few days to visit family but during the day most of them will be working so I'm wondering what day trips I can do from there. I will have a car and like visiting quaint little villages, exploring the countryside, meeting the locals. I want to go to Cork and Killarney and then on to DIngle perhaps for a couple of nights. Are Cork and Killarney practical for day trips and are there other suggestions?

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Waterford

Aussie, Tramore is a great centre for day trips! Going west, take the coast road (the Copper Coast) along to Stradbally - be sure and find the 'secret' beach at Stradbally - go right through the village, over a little bridge and take a left turn (I think it is signed now) into what looks like private land beside a house, lovely beach.

On the way there are numerous little bays and beaches to explore, and Dunhill Castle at Annestown - read up on the history, its only a ruin but has an interesting story. Stop off and investigate the copper mine buildings - you can't miss them on the way to Bunmahon.

Or go west on the N25, explore Dungarvan, Lismore (including The Towers), Cappoquin (and Dromana bridge). Go over the Vee to Clonmel. Look out for Mount Mellory. Turn off the N25 before Dungarvan for Mahon Falls, nice walk in the mountains, and the 'Magic Road'.

Go north from Tramore to investigate Waterford city, especially the museums, Waterford Glass and the city walls. Kilkenny is easily accessible in an hour from Tramore, take the motorway (the turn off is just after the toll bridge, to the left, confusingly it does not say Kilkenny, it says Dublin). Kilkenny and the surrounding area is well worth exploring. Or continue on the motorway and go to New Ross and have a look at the famine ship.

Round the coast to the east you have Dunmore East - go right through the village to the harbour where the fishing boats are and have a wander. Or head for Passage East and go across the estuary on the ferry to Wexford where you can visit the tower castle at Ballyhack, go left off the ferry towards the JFK arboretum, lovely walks, and Dunbrody Abbey. Or go right and visit Duncannon fort, or head down the peninsula to Hook Head lighthouse - a local favourite.

And that's only the tip of the iceberg, there are masses of little villages, attractive beaches and coves, loads of places to visit! Not to mention the 13 or so megalithic tombs etc within 15 minutes of Tramore town, but they need a bit of hunting for, and possibly some local help!

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
825 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Waterford

Hello. Doneraile has given you some very good info. To add to the many wonderful places you could go, consider Carrick on Suir to visit Ormond castle. There is also beautiful Mahon Falls to visit, which is off the N25. Lastly, Youghal is a nice town to walk around and have lunch in. There is so much to see and do in County Waterford that you could easily spend a full week just there. Hope this helps, and enjoy.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Waterford

Thank you for your response, sounds good. I have spent quite a bit of time in Wateford before and been in Kilkenny and Wicklow as well as Passage East no but not the other destinations, thank you!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Waterford

Thank your for your suggestions which are appreciated!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,510 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Waterford

The cove in Stradbally was indeed private, as a child I remember there was a gate on the laneway and this was closed a certain number of days to prevent a public right of way being established. When the "Big House" was sold, the gate to the cove was locked-until someone got fed up and threw it into the river!

There's a really secret beach through a cave at the stony Ballyvooney Cove, but unless you are with someone who is familiar with the area,I don't suggest you try it.

On the way down to the cove, there's a lovely thatched cottage to the left as you go down the hill. It may look familiar as it is the home of a well established artist who featured it in her work quite a lot.

www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp…

Be careful around the old mines in Bunmahon, there are some unmarked shafts/holes etc.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Waterford

That's interesting about Stradbally cove! I didn't know that. There are two pubs and they both seem to be permanently closed, frequently because there is a funeral on. Or maybe I have just been unlucky!

7. Re: Day trips from Waterford

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Waterford