We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

waterford crystal -be informed

Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
waterford crystal -be informed

Waterford Crystal do a nice tour, cost about 9 euro. There is plenty of parking and it is easy to find thanks to good signposting.The tour lasts about an hour. There is a good cafe there and the food is fine.

On a negative note, you go through the whole tour and they do not tell you that some of the crystal for sale in the gift shop is made outside Ireland., I had read about this on a posting here in tripadvisor so I was aware of it and it is true that they don't tell you this fact. That is what I object to...not having the true facts to make an informed choice. I have no problem that a lot of their stuff is made in other countries but it leaves a bad taste in the mouth that they give they sure give the impression it is all made in waterford so you think you are buying something made in the establishment you have just visited. I can imagine many visitors must buy in Waterford and have their goods shipped , only to find they are made in the czech republic. More openness about this please. It turns out you have to check the box to find out where it is made BUT many of the goods on display have no box in sight. Don't be shy..Ask.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: waterford crystal -be informed

I am sorry you had some measure of disappointment on your recent visit. You make a good point - if in doubt, ask.

To be fair it I don't believe Waterford are being deliberately underhand. I paste below a quote from their website, which is easy to find under FAQs:

"All products are designed at Waterford and all products must pass our strict Quality standards inspection. Some products such as the Marquis by Waterford Collection are made in Slovenia and Germany.

All of our products are clearly labelled with the country of manufacture and over 90% of the crystal products displayed in the Visitor Centre are manufactured in Waterford."

Perhaps it would be helpful if they displayed this information more prominently in the Visitor Centre.

Scotland
Level Contributor
236 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: waterford crystal -be informed

I bought a Jasper Conran designed candlrstick last year, not in the factory shop, in Ennis and it states clearly on the box, not on the piece that its country of manufacture was not Ireland.

Minneapolis, MN
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: waterford crystal -be informed

I know Waterford makes great crystal and was impressed with the factory in Ireland. That being said...

I bought a Marquis Sheridan Decanter and 2 DOF by Waterford.

Besides being surprised about it being made in the Czech Republic, the build quality is lacking. Unless of course seams should be visible on a "hand crafted" product...

If you're going to make mass produced economy crystal it would be best to keep the Waterford name off it.

4. Re: waterford crystal -be informed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 19:18