We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental cars and ferries

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
10 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
rental cars and ferries

I would like to make a trip from Dublin with a rental car to Rosslare, cross to Fishguard with the rental car, drive up the coast of Wales, stay several days, cross back to Ireland by way of Holyhead to Dublin. I'm having a bit of a problem with the rental car. The only company , I have found that allow the crossing is Dan Dooley. they want a "CASH" deposit of $1,000.00. I have no problem with the deposit but would rather not carry that kind of cash with me. Does anyone know of a company that allows a deposit with credit card?

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental cars and ferries

I would be very nervous of DD looking for a cash deposit. Most places, as you have found, just say it can't be done. Why would cash make a difference?

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental cars and ferries

Did you email Europecar? I ask because I had to find a different car rental agency in Britain that would allow me to ferry the car to France. Europecar and Alamo both allowed it, but Europecar was much cheaper.

Last year I ferried my rental car from Fishguard to Rosslare and then back. But that rental company is in bankruptcy now. It's a shame because it was a very good company to deal with and I will miss using their services.

I hope you find something because Wales is really a wonderful place.

Carlow, Ireland
Level Contributor
255 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental cars and ferries

I would email all the major car hire companies and wait a few days for a response. If I got no response, I would get on the phone to them. It should not cost too much, when you consider that business hours here would be off peak there.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,809 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental cars and ferries

Have you thought about leaving your car in at Rosslare, getting a ferry as a foot passenger and then hiring a car in fishguard once more?

Hertz have a place in Fishguard that is only 5 minutes walk or so from the boat.

Or even getting the train straight from Dublin to Rosslare Ferryport and hiring a car in Wales?

I think this option might work out considerably cheaper.

5. Re: rental cars and ferries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 15:20
Get answers to your questions about Wexford
Recent Conversations