We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a drive from Dublin to Blasket Islands via South

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Planning a drive from Dublin to Blasket Islands via South

My partner and I are spending four days in Ireland, flying into Dublin and out of Cork. He wants to go to the Blasket Islands. We are planning to spend much of the first day in Dublin, then drive down (with a possible stop at either the Powerscourt Estates or Mount Usher Gardens) through either Sally Gap or along R750 to either Arklow or Enniscorthy to spend the night. The next day, we will drive to the Dingle peninsula via East Dunmore and Tramore, with lunch in Dungarvan. We will spend the next day at the Blasket Islands and travel to Cork that evening or the following morning.

Can anyone provide input about what roads/towns are better? Sally Gap is supposed to be beautiful, but I've heard R750 is nice as well, although we will be driving near the sea the next day. Is there a reason to pick Arklow over Enniscorthy, or vice-versa? Are stops in East Dunmore and Tramore worthwhile? We heard Dungarvan has great pubs, but are open to other suggestions, both for lunch and other towns to stop in. Should we bag the whole plan and not try to drive across Ireland in a day? I would love to have any input. Many thanks!

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a drive from Dublin to Blasket Islands via South

Unfortunately you cannot plan to spend 'one day on the Blaskets' as the boats are very weather dependent, even in summer the service is patchy if the weather's not too good, I have spent weeks in Dingle when I havent been able to get over at all.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a drive from Dublin to Blasket Islands via South

This is very good to know. Thank you!

Kerry
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a drive from Dublin to Blasket Islands via South

With only 4 days stick to the east coast ..after enniscorthy head for waterford or east cork ....ballycotton ..and head back to Dublin....Leave Dingle and the SW for another time

MANSFIELD
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a drive from Dublin to Blasket Islands via South

Has anyone been to Fethard in Waterford County?

wexford
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a drive from Dublin to Blasket Islands via South

Hi Deborah

There is no fethard in County Waterford. The one i know best and i think the one your talking about is, Fethard on sea in county Wexford , its in south west wexford just up from the world famous hook lighthouse.

If this is the one look up hook area. wexford

Please beware, if you have a sat nav . please put in fethard on sea , and not just fethard as their is a small village in county Tipperary and your sat nav will send you there. Hope this will be of use to you.

Terry

6. Re: Planning a drive from Dublin to Blasket Islands via South

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Wexford
Recent Conversations