We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duncannon - County Wexford (or somewhere nearby)

Which Wexford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Topic
Duncannon - County Wexford (or somewhere nearby)

I am looking for self catering (2 adults, one toddler) at a beach area in Wexford and am thinking Duncannon might suit, but don't know the area well enough. All I know is that they want to be near(ish) Hook Head.

I recall being in the area about 10 years ago (!!) and there was an amazing beach in the general area. Long, wide sandy beach. Was this Duncannon?

Looking for a nice Self catering place, in a nice complex for one week. If it had any access to swimming pool that would be a bonus but not essential.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,958 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duncannon - County Wexford (or somewhere nearby)

How about Dunmore East? Its not that far from Passage East which has a ferry to Duncannon.

Dunmore East has two very safe beaches and a lovely park and play ground. www.discoverdunmore.com/tourism/web…

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duncannon - County Wexford (or somewhere nearby)

Yes there is a great beach at Duncannon and it is convenient for Hook Head, Tintern and Dunbrody abbeys. I think you might get a better selection of accommodation, restaurants etc in Dunmore East though. The ferry ride across to Wexford is very nice and no hardship (€12 return).

Tramore is also not far away and while not a sophisticated holiday spot, it does have a nice swimming pool with a children's area, also Run Amuck, a children's indoor play area. And of course a spectacular beach. The Waterford coastline is rather more accessible with lots of small, interesting beaches than Wexford, though maybe it is just that I know Waterford better.

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
758 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duncannon - County Wexford (or somewhere nearby)

Just watched The Holiday Show on tv3 and now think I need to plan next year's holiday to Wexford. It looks amazing!

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duncannon - County Wexford (or somewhere nearby)

Bryno,I too would have to suggest Dunmore East (being a local & all that),easy access to the Hook Peninsula,lots of nice accommodation & a lovely childrens playground in the park .

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duncannon - County Wexford (or somewhere nearby)

I saw a lovely cottage on Imagine Ireland the other week, it does sound good.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,175 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Duncannon - County Wexford (or somewhere nearby)

The beach house is to the north of the county and I'd have thought weather dependent.

www.morriscastlestrand.com/

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duncannon - County Wexford (or somewhere nearby)

Dunmore East does sound lovely. I was there but many years ago, so can't really remember the layout of the area.

I will investigate further. Thanks for the suggestions.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duncannon - County Wexford (or somewhere nearby)

There's a lovely harbour area Bryno,the shops are in the Upper Village & the beach & a few restaurants are in the Lower Village.The Park is in between !

9. Re: Duncannon - County Wexford (or somewhere nearby)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 June 2013, 12:35
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duncannon - County Wexford (or somewhere nearby)

Ad alert! However there is a row of nice, modern houses across the road from the beach. Still think you would be better in DE for restaurants etc.

Get answers to your questions about Wexford
Recent Conversations