We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day in Wexford

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day in Wexford

Hi, We are driving from Dublin to Wexford on a Tuesday in August and spending the night there before heading to Cobh for the next night.

I have a few things in mind we may like to do realizing we may not get to it all in a day:

Hook Lighthouse

Dunbrody Ship

Wexford Walking Tours

Irish National Heritage Park

I am wondering where they are in terms of the drive into Wexford - which should we try to do first? Interested in any suggestions people may have...also, any must sees on the drive from Dublin to Wexford? Or from Wexford to Cobh?

Thanks!!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day in Wexford

Well the Dunbrody Ship is in New Ross, The Hook Lighthouse is on Hook Head about 20 miles from New Ross, The Heritage Park is just outside Wexford Town. Instead of The Heritage Park, I would substitute either the JFK Arboretum or Johnstown Castle (which would be on your way to New Ross).

Have a look at the map and see what works for you - I can't comment on the walking tours as I haven't done them.

hope this helps

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day in Wexford

Thanks for your response! I wonder if it makes more sense to go from New Ross to Hook Head and then Wexford, or if we should do the lighthouse the next day when we leave Wexford on our way to Cobh.

Carlow, Ireland
Level Contributor
255 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day in Wexford

You are going to have a lot of driving, but its just about doable. I would try to fit in Glendalough on the way down to Wexford. Stroll along the Board Walk in Wexford Town or take a drive to Rosslare Strand. That will take up all of that day. Next day I would just drive to Hook Head and take the Light House tour. Then you have the options of Loftus Hall, JFK Arboretum, Dunbrody Ship. I am trying to decide what I would do under the same circumstances and here is what I would do... Wexford to Hook. Walk about 20 minutes (or all the way to Slade) along to coast from the Hook (eastwards), great views. If time allowed, visit Loftus Hall. Take the small Ferry from Ballyhack to Passage East. Drive from there to Dunmore East. Hug the coast westwards for a while until you eventually decide that it is time to head north to get unto the main Cork road that will bring you to Cobh.

4. Re: Day in Wexford

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2015, 11:15
Get answers to your questions about Wexford
Recent Conversations