We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for Christmas?

Maine
Level Contributor
39 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for Christmas?

Hello--

My husband, our son (22) and I are going to be traveling to the Wicklow area for Christmas and are looking for a B&B (or other accommodations) for the 24th and 25th of December. Our hope and plan was to stay in Glendalough, or at least the Glendalough area, to visit the monastic city, hike in the national park, and just relax. I've sent 8 inquiries to B&Bs in Glendalough, and Laragh and it seems everywhere is closed.

Does anyone have recommendations of other areas in Wicklow County, somewhat nearby, or just in general for Wicklow County, where we can enjoy the holidays - have a nice place to stay and somewhere to enjoy a Christmas dinner?

Thanks!

Tara

Tralee, Ireland
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for Christmas?

i would check out discoverireland.ie for hotels and then actually booking it booking.com!!! very reliable and cheaper than calling the hotels ive found. no booking fee either. guarantee with card and pay on departure. a 3 star or guest house city centre would suffice :) happy travels

Dublin
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for Christmas?

Try here - don't know about their Christmas availability, but know a friend's sister stated there (self catering) and loved it and it's not too expensive. It's quite near the Glendalough and Laragh areas.

http://croneybyrneholidays.com

Margaret, Dublin

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for Christmas?

Hi

Where ever you do book make sure that your Christmas dinner is included as Ireland closes down for Christmas day.

There will be no bars, restaurants or shops open and Hotels are usually residents only.

If you are looking for Christmas dinner you will need to book a hotel asap as hotels that offer Christmas dinner packages usually book up months in advance.

Similarly the 24th most place close reasonably early this night and many restaurants won't open again until the 27th December.

Most B&B's are family run, quite often in the family home so you will find it quite hard to find a B&B for these days as most people will try and keep it purely family time.

Maine
Level Contributor
39 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for Christmas?

AgeIreland, IrishMaggie and Breezer 25,

Thank you for all your thoughtful suggestions and comments. I had submitted my post because I had in fact reserved accommodations fro December 24th and 25th back in early October, but I was not able to get in touch with the owner of a B&B to confirm the reservation. Until today. Our son who is in Dublin studying at Trinity right now was able to reach the owner by phone. It seems we are all set, we have a wonderful place to stay, and also have been given a warm welcome to join the family for Christmas dinner.

All has turned out well and we look forward to this truly special time in Wicklow, enjoying the quiet and spiritual beauty of the Glendalough area, visiting the monastic city, hiking in the national park, and just relaxing. I am humbled and excited by the beautiful resonance of such warmhearted people - thank you. I can't wait to visit Ireland!

Cheers,

Tara

5. Re: Where to stay for Christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 13:16