We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants/Pubs Near Glendalough-Laragh Area

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants/Pubs Near Glendalough-Laragh Area

I will be spending 1 night at the end of October at the Glendalough Hotel. Other than the hotel and the Wicklow Heather are there any other places to eat in the area. I've read the Hotel food is iffy at best, how's the Wicklow Heather.

I think breakfast is included in the price of my room at the hotel. Is is worth is to stay for breakfast or skip it and stop somewhere on my way to Kilkenny?

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,006 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants/Pubs Near Glendalough-Laragh Area

I'd stick with the breakfast at the hotel.

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants/Pubs Near Glendalough-Laragh Area

What about dinner the evening before? I would rather eat outside the hotel. Are there any places nearby that some one could recccomend?

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants/Pubs Near Glendalough-Laragh Area

We really enjoyed our dinner at the Wicklow Heather. This may have been tempered by two things not relating to the food, which was pretty good - they came and picked us up at our b&b and returned us after the meal, and the Whiskey Bar and the Writers Room are beautiful. If you do eat there be sure and stop in to see them. It was vey quiet when we were there because it was the night of the Ireland/Spain Euro match and they had no tv.

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants/Pubs Near Glendalough-Laragh Area

Thanks Tani! Wicklow Heather it will be. Did you stay at Riversdale B&B? I am thinking of changing to there instead of Glendalough Hotel.

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants/Pubs Near Glendalough-Laragh Area

We stayed at the Wicklow Way Lodge. I'm not sure if the owners are friends with the Wicklow Heather manager/owner, or if the WH offers the pick-up service to other area b&bs. It makes sense, since so many folks coming through the WIcklow area are hikers/bikers without vehicles.

We didn't poke our heads into the Glendalough Hotel, although I wanted to. It's certainly conveniently located to the site!

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants/Pubs Near Glendalough-Laragh Area

I just read on the Riversdale House site that the shuttle is provided by the WH. It does make sense not only because of the hikers in the area but one can actually have a drink or 2 and not have to worry about driving over the limit!

The Riversdale House actually has stepping stones across the river to the site so it should be pretty convent as well.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants/Pubs Near Glendalough-Laragh Area

Lynhams of Laragh (pub and hotel) was excellent when we stayed in Glendalough last year. The pub is cosy, staff very friendly and the food was good. It's one 1km from Glendalough (about half mile)

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants/Pubs Near Glendalough-Laragh Area

Thanks Bryno! I will check it out.

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
841 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants/Pubs Near Glendalough-Laragh Area

Personally I don't think you will beat the Wicklow Heather. It's always busy and there is a reason for that!!

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants/Pubs Near Glendalough-Laragh Area

They might be awesome.

I've just read a lot of reviews on the restaurant and the B&Bs in the area that say something about their B&B hosts recommended the WH. They might be recommending it because they eat there and it is good but I am suspicious when the hosts make sure to work it into the conversation. I think sometimes the restaurant has a deal worked out with the B&B and visa versa. In this case it might simply be because there are such a limited number of restaurants in that area.

I haven't ruled it out. I will see what I feel like when the day comes. Thanks for your recommendation.