We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valuables in car while at Glendalough

new york
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Valuables in car while at Glendalough

Hello

I bought another Ireland guidebook and he specifically says not to leave

your belongings in the car when touring Glendalough. He said there

are signs stating that everywhere. I would need to leave our luggage in the trunk as

we will be driving from Dublin to spend the night in Kilkenney. Should

I remove this side trip from my itinerary? Don't want to be a worry wart but would

rather not lose all of our belongings our 2nd day in Ireland

Thoughts?

Thank you

new york
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Valuables in car while at Glendalough

Thanks everyone!! Can't wait to get there in March!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
288 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Valuables in car while at Glendalough

We plan on going there as well. But I'm sure theft can happen at any location. My strategy is to keep all our stuff in the trunk (boot). Hopefully the thieves won't go to the trouble to pry it open to see if there's anything in there.

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Valuables in car while at Glendalough

Hi, My name is Baciu Andrei Dumitru , i went to work Monday 12 Aug 2013 to Glendalough , co Wicklow

I work for the Vikings movie catering and we were fillming at Wicklow gap, we had to park our cars up at St. Kevins National School , i finish my work at around 8 pm and found my car's back window broken , they took a black neck bag that had my Passport , ID , Driving licence , forklift licence in .

i didn't have any money in the bag but they tought it's full of money , i know it's my mistake that i should not leave my bag visible , i think the thieves might have thrown away my bag somewhere and if anyone has any information about this, please contact me at: 0860708373

i will pay a good amount of money to the person that finds my bag

Thank you very much

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Valuables in car while at Glendalough

andibacou24,

Sorry for your loss. I doubt though you will get any belongings back.

In 2008 my rental car window was smashed and several small bags taken from the back seat floor. We had parked in a church parking lot in Ballinasloe on a Sunday mid day for just an hour. Hardly a high crime or touristy area. One bag had a notebook computer and lots of genealogy files. Another was actually a cooler. And the third was my niece's purse with passport, credit cards, etc. We dug through every bush and bin in the area and found nothing.

NEVER leave belongings visible in your car. Anywhere. Even briefly. An unscheduled race to Dublin to replace a passport is no way to end a vacation.

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Valuables in car while at Glendalough

At one time in the USA many rental cars had distinctive "plate" numbers. Because of that many were vandalized when parked at popular tourist spots. . That has since changed.

For cars rented in Ireland, do the more common vendors, ie Dooley, Hertz,Avis,etc. have easily recognized numbers ? If so, that could identify the vehicle as a likely target. While placing valuables in the boot is essential, I would think putting other tourist paraphernalia,ie maps, guide books,navigation systems,etc, would be a good idea.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Valuables in car while at Glendalough

andibacou24, that's just terrible.

One tip that I use when parking in a car park - look around for broken Car Glass - that's usually a sign that this type of activity happens in that place.

I can't say I've noticed any broken glass at the Upper Lake car park in Glendalough. But on a public road with what appears to be valuables visible, is a temptation for a quick 'smash & grab'.

Unfortunately, many public transport vehicles are now fitted with those little 'break glass' hammers for H&S reasons and these are easy targets for anti-social elements to steal and then use later for the type of crime we are discussing.

Use credit/debit cards instead of wads of cash and keep then with you along with your passport.

17. Re: Valuables in car while at Glendalough

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 05:16