We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

powerscourt/wicklow/glendaugh kilkenny in one day

Which Wicklow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
1 post
Save Topic
powerscourt/wicklow/glendaugh kilkenny in one day

We are leaving dublin November 24 and our next night stop is Kilkenney. Can we drive from Dublin to Powercourt have lunch in Wicklow at Mystic Celt then go to glendaugh and then arrive in Kilkenney by 7:00 pm. Am I crazy to do all of that in one day. WHAT IS the scenery like from powercourt to Wicklow??

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,317 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: powerscourt/wicklow/glendaugh kilkenny in one day

We spent 3-4 hours at Powerscourt and the same at Glendalough. I recommend having lunch at Powerscourt--we thought the food was very good and the weather was so wonderful that we sat outside--what a view! The drives in that area were beautiful.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: powerscourt/wicklow/glendaugh kilkenny in one day

Sunset will be around 4.15pm. The drive from Glendalough to Kilkenny includes narrow, winding country and mountain roads. In all likelihood it will be raining.

So, you might want to consider staying overnight in County Wicklow, and continue your journey next day in daylight.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,161 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: powerscourt/wicklow/glendaugh kilkenny in one day

There's snow on part of that route right now (up the mountains.) I don't think what you have outlined in any way practical.

London, United...
Level Contributor
380 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: powerscourt/wicklow/glendaugh kilkenny in one day

I would look at Castletown House (or Russborough House ) as alternatives for en route sights, then you have no windy mountain roads. Powerscourt is an outdoor attraction really, best seen in summer, and Castletown is an indoor one. Have just been to both in the summer and I would rather visit castletown myself anyway. If you insist on Powerscourt, you should forget Glendalough and retrace your steps north and head off again to kilkenny.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: powerscourt/wicklow/glendaugh kilkenny in one day

Glendalough is an important site (or sight even), go there directly if you wish, then head West before lunching and leave yourself only the motorway drive to Kilkenny in the dark.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: powerscourt/wicklow/glendaugh kilkenny in one day

To answer your question, yes - its crazy at the end of November. It is doable of course. To answer another question, the scenery is great - but back to question 1 - you'll see none of it in the dark.

And as HarveyIrel;and points out - the weather is a major factor up in the high hills from Pwerscourt via Sally Gap to Laragh and also from Laragh over the Wicklow Gap towards Hollywood where you'll need to drive to get to Kilkenny.

I've been keeping an eye on the snow forecast and on the local on-line newspaper and haven't spotted anything about snow on the roads up there yet, but a slight dip in temperature could change all that and anyway, after dark, wet roads could turn to ice. You don't want yo come off the road up there - you might have a long wait for rescue - there's not many around this time of year.

Go and enjoy Powerscourt and have lunch in Wicklow Town then swing around to Kilkenny via Aughrim and Shillealagh [SeeMiinMo's report on her trip on her last leg - in reverse]

Edited: 20 November 2013, 13:26
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: powerscourt/wicklow/glendaugh kilkenny in one day

Misread some of your question - From Powerscourt to Wicklow, you drive down to the N11 and turn right. The N11 is a road to Motorway standard [some of it IS the M11] and quite scenic as it passes through the Glen of the Downs. Other than that, it is just a road top get from A to B You wont be too long on it as the Wicklow turn-off is just a few junctions away.

8. Re: powerscourt/wicklow/glendaugh kilkenny in one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 06:19