We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glendalough

Boston...
Level Contributor
211 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Glendalough

I am getting bits and pieces of where to go and what to do, but we will be coming from Kilkenny, and want to spend the day, and will have a couple hours in the am before heading back to Dublin airport for an afternoon flight. So with that said, can someone give some ideas on where in Glendalough, and The mountain area, not to miss, and where a good place to stay would be? And some pubs for pints, and dinner! Thanks!!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,612 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glendalough

With an afternoon flight you won't have a lot of time (if any) to explore the mountain areas adjacent to Glendalough. However, the trails around Glendalough are very nice and definitely worth exploring. There is a large car park at Glendalough and also a visitor centre there. You can purchase a map of the trails at the visitor centre for about €2. I recommend that you do this and spend some time on the trails adjacent to the visitor centre, after you explore the famous monastic settlement which is right at the car park. The trails are not difficult and are easy enough to navigate and there are a number of high points which will afford you good photo opportunities. Sticking to the trails will allow you to time your visit more accurately.

As for eating, I recommend Lynhams of Laragh which is only 1Km from Glendalough. This is a small family run hotel with a nice traditional bar attached. Food in the bar is good and good value. The Glendalough Hotel itself is a nice hotel and food is fine, but more expensive than Lynhams and I think a nicer atmosphere in Lynhams.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Glendalough

Depending on your fitness levels and interest in walking, there are hill walks of varying degrees of difficulty there

Edited: 05 January 2014, 11:57
Boston...
Level Contributor
211 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glendalough

We will have one full day to explore Wicklow area, and Glendalouch,as we will be driving in the am from Kilkenny, and then a few hours the nect morning. Sorry I should have been more specific. We are up for light to moderate hike, nothing that takes hours. Can you recommend a good place to bunk for the night. Maybe Bray or Greystones looks like a good home for the night. Are there cliffs in that area on the coast that would be worth going in for a look?

4. Re: Glendalough

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 05:19