We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Live in Peterborough

Which Peterborough hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Peterborough...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Where to Live in Peterborough

Hi hope you can help me, me and my fiance want to move to the South side of Peterborough and have no idea what are nices areas and which to avoid (all towns have them!) hope someone can help me!

Thanks

crowland
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Live in Peterborough

The new development on the south side of the town all have something to recommend them. Personally I like Hampton Vale as it's pristine clean, and close to the big Serpentinve shopping centre and convenient for the A1. I would be careful which area of the Ortons if looking there as some are lovely and some are not very salubrious. Orton Wistow would be my preferred area. Also there is the Yaxley area which has some good new developments.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Live in Peterborough

I can understand why some people like Hampton but the houses are on top of each other and cars clog up the streets. Also, parts of it are sinking as it's not built on stable ground. Thats why the shopping centre smells horrible sometimes as it's sinking into the sewer.

Yaxley, Stanground (certain parts), Whittlesey, Farcet, Eye and some parts of Fletton are nice.

Avoid at all costs (and i'm sorry to offend anyone) - Parnwell, Welland, Ravensthorpe, Orton Goldhay, Orton Malbourne, Bretton.

Best thing to do is if you see somewhere you like, post it on here and we can help!

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Live in Peterborough

Westwood not very nice either.

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Live in Peterborough

Wot about live London and commute to P? Good trains!

UK
Level Contributor
112 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Live in Peterborough

Hi there,

We are contemplating relocating to Peterborough as well, so, am finding this particular discussion useful info.

Just wondering... why the advice to avoid Orton Goldhay, Orton Malbourne and Bretton? Are they very rough neighbourhoods?

What about Woodston, Orton Longville and Orton Winston? Is it advisable to avoid those neighbourhoods as well?

Thanks in advance for your help.

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Live in Peterborough

The problem with Orton Goldhay, Malbourne, Bretton and Welland etc are that they were thrown up in the 70's as council houses estates and they tried to make it so there was easy access from the areas to shops etc but whats happened is they have created lots of rat runs and places for people to hide and escape quickly after committing a crime.

I live in Bretton and while there are some really nice parts here, the bad parts far outweigh the good and i wouldn't feel safe walking from the office to the shops at lunch time nevermind in the dark.

Orton Wistow and Longville are both nice places to live as is Orton Waterville.

Woodston is okay too. Some parts (The Dell/Fellows gardens) are not great but Sugar Way which is new is nice and in a good location for town.

I've just moved to Whittlesey and that is a lovely little place. There are shops, cafes and a market on a sunday and it's only 6 miles to the city centre. Feels like it's further away though as it's on the fens and you can do some nice bike rides and things from there in the countryside.

I said before about the Hampton area. It's worth a look and some people like it but note the amount of cars and the lack of space!

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Live in Peterborough

I meant i work in Bretton not live there, whoops!

UK
Level Contributor
112 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Live in Peterborough

Lesley - thanks for the info. That was of great help. :)

SW London
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Live in Peterborough

Whittlesey is my home town. Dull, dull, mind numbingly dull.

Although that's not to negate the posssibility that dull appeals. Much of my family still live there and seem largely content.

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to Live in Peterborough

You live in London though so anywhere must be dull compared to the hussle and bussle of there! :)

Get answers to your questions about Peterborough