We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Travel plans to London and Peterborough

Peth Girl
1 post
Save Topic
Help! Travel plans to London and Peterborough

Hi,

I'm from Perth, Australia and I'm wondering if there is anyone who can give me some travel advice about London and Peterborough. I would particularly appreciate some advice from people who live around there. However advice from ANYONE will be much appreciated:-)

My husband and I plan to visit Peterborough next Feb 2008 to attend a 3 month seminar. We are on a very tight budget because of the length of our stay. Is there any quality discount accomodation available in Peterborough and close surrounding areas. If not, we are thinking about staying in Forrestgate, London with a relative who resides in that area to lessen the financial burden. Is this too far from Peterborough and is this practical in terms of time, travel and expense?

Additionally, we would like to visit some of the surrounding countries such as Ireland and France. Is it true that you can go to France from London in a reasonably short period of time? We plan to go back to Australia late May or early June.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PerthiteQ:-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Travel plans to London and Peterborough

Forest Gate to Peterborough would be about 2 hrs by public transport (train Forest Gate to Liverpool Street, tube Liverpool Street to Kings Cross, train Kings Cross to Peterborough), so not really a practical daily commute. Searching on sites such as www.activereservations.com would bring up lists of hotels, with reviews. On that site, look for an 8/10 or better satisfaction rating.

www.travelodge.co.uk has rooms for £26 (Peterborough Central) on selected dates; this is a basic low budget hotel chain; you won’t find a hotel at a lower price, although of course you could find better hotels at higher prices!

You could also consider renting - look at sites such as rightmove and findaproperty.

Trains from London to Paris depart from Waterloo and take around 3 hrs.

London
Level Contributor
10,749 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Travel plans to London and Peterborough

A standard return ticket is 78 pounds between Forest Gate and Peterborough. You can reduce that with a season ticket, but it will never be a cheap journey.

Just giving you a hint that if money is tight your idea of commuting from Forest Gate may eat up in travel costs most of what you expect to save on accom

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Travel plans to London and Peterborough

I used to work with someone who drove from Peterborough to Romford every day, so it is possible. Everyone else in the office thought he was mad though!!

A short term let will be your cheapest option, or weekends with your relatives and weekdays in a cheap hotel.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Travel plans to London and Peterborough

You can get train tickets from London to Peterborough for £8 each way but you have to book in advance and travel at off peak times. Check out www.gner.co.uk.

The cheapest hotel here is called Formula 1. It is a basic hotel though and the bathroom is outside of your room and is shared,

The Travelodge Peterborough Central is your best bet or either of the other 2 Travelodge's - Peterborough Eye Green or Alwalton. They are not far out the centre. You may be able to get the special rate of £15.00 per room per night if you book over 21 days in advance.

Other hotels in the city are the Bull Hotel which is right in the centre and the Great Northen which is at the station. These are not cheap though.

If theres anything else, just ask

Lesley

london
Level Contributor
56 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Travel plans to London and Peterborough

It would be a horrible commute from Forest Gate to Peterborough, and, no disrespect to your relative, F Gate isn't the most attractive part of London - as already recommended, find a short let flat, and stay with the relatives when you want to explore London

Budget airlines mean it's never been cheaper or easier to take short trips, particularly if you are not absolutely tied to weekends i.e. going on Friday coming back Sunday. The main two are Ryanair and Easyjet

Ryanair will fly you to Ireland and a huge number of european cities, although often not the main airports of the biggest cities - hence the low fares. This needn't be a drawback - you can fly to Bergerac, which is in the Dordogne, one of the most beautiful parts of France, or Biarritz, in the French Basque country, for as little as £30 -£40

Alternatively, take a tip from British visitors to Australia - buy a cheap car, drive it round europe, come back to England and sell it!

6. Re: Help! Travel plans to London and Peterborough

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 03:20
Get answers to your questions about Peterborough