We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheltenham or gloucester?

1 post
Save Topic
cheltenham or gloucester?

Hi, my partner and I are looking to move to gloucestershire from Somerset as there are many more job opportunities available to us there. Gloucester and cheltenham have stood out to us so far. Could anybody give us some idea of what each area is like? Many thanks :)

Gloucester Cathedral
Sacred & Religious Sites
Jet Age Museum
Speciality Museums
Gloucester Docks
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheltenham or gloucester?

Your post might get removed as TA don't like threads about moving to a new area but before they spot it ....

I moved to Gloucester 30+ years ago from the north-east and hated it!! Maybe things have changed but (let's think of a polite way to put this) it's not the most stranger-friendly place I've ever been.

I then moved to Cheltenham and stayed there for 21 years - only moving out when property prices got a bit silly. We now live in Tewkesbury.

I would say there is no contest. Cheltenham has a much better vibe about it and I was always very proud to live there. If you would like any more specific info, please PM me. Good luck!

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheltenham or gloucester?

I think Gloucester people are somewhat different now to your experiences 30 years ago. That said, most of Cheltenham and its surroundings would be preferrable to much of Gloucester as an area to settle. Don't get me wrong, there are duff areas of Cheltenham just as there are nice areas of Gloucester.

Not everything is rosy in Cheltenham and it had a major drugs problem a few years ago - I don't know the current situation.

House prices are considerably dearer in Cheltenham than in even the best parts of Gloucester so that might be a consideration too.

By the way I'm not a local although I have lived in the area most of my life :-)

westmids/calaegos
Destination Expert
for Cala d'Or
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheltenham or gloucester?

I have moved from the south east to the area a few years ago. Would agree that even Cheltenham has iffy areas but there is no contest- Gloucester town centre is grubby shabby and run down. There are some very nice parts of Cheltenham like Montpelier where you can find and eclectic mix of shops and restaurants. Schools are also an issue for some people so Cheltenham probably better on that score. Another town to consider might be Stroud. I actually think Worcestershire has some nice towns like Upton-on- Severn or Malvern if you want a reasonable sized town, or even Worcester itself if you somewhere the size of Cheltenham or Gloucester.

4. Re: cheltenham or gloucester?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2014, 23:15